Middle East crisis.

Guest baldrick

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back on topic.

So, a majority in the UN security council want to call for an immediate ceasefire in the Middle East and the US is blocking them, and not it seems a majority in the EU wants to issue a statement calling for an immediate ceasfire... but Britain is standing in the way.

The US & Britain, rogue states.. Blair.. Bush's poodle.

UK rejects call for 'immediate' ceasefire

01 August 2006 15:24

The UK is understood to be rejecting an EU draft statement calling for an immediate ceasefire in Lebanon.

The draft is being discussed at emergency talks in Brussels.

A draft statement circulated as ministers began the meeting also warns of breaches of international law in the three-week-old fighting between Israel and Hezbollah.

The draft said that 'disregard for necessary precautions to avoid loss of civilian life' constituted 'a severe breach of international humanitarian law'.

Earlier, the Minister for Foreign Affairs, Dermot Ahern, said Ireland would be calling for an immediate end to hostilities at today's meeting.

Speaking on RTÃ? Radio, he said it was a sad indictment of the EU that it had not yet managed to help bring about a ceasefire in the region.

Today's meeting was expected to highlight continuing divisions over how to handle the crisis.

A majority of countries, led by France, wanted the EU to demand an immediate ceasefire in Lebanon.

Britain, on the other hand, was still sticking close to the US position and did not want the word 'immediate' used.

Germany too, for historical reasons, did not want to appear too critical of Israel, but its caution was causing strain within the coalition led by Chancellor Angela Merkel.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/0801/lebanon01.html

My Take on the Situation in a few short words, I have better things to do in life than write long winded postings.

Up until a couple of weeks ago the world media was not concentrating on this issue, it is a mere puppet to deflect people from thinking about the undlerlying issues which are now being obscured by a "Staged" conflict.

Where were we ?

AT last I am in the new Board!!

Apart from the technical / idiot (?!!) problems of logging on the reason why I have not been posting is that I was away sailing for a while. I am usually a complete "news junkie", so it was quite a surprise to finally get a newspaper and discover that WW3 (or is it now WW4??) had been on for quite a while :o

FWIW I really don't see what a war between two tribes of Medieval religous nutters has anything at all to do with me / the West. It's not as if their is any oil there is it :smirk: Let 'em get on with it.

Fidel,

Question for you...DO you condone or support armed forces killing civilians indiscriminately?

Don't lie...I'll answer for you...YES you do! :shocked:

A few facts you may not like to read, these are facts, not theory or conjecture.

1. This round of killing in Lebanon started when hezbollah, an armed militia, enterd Israel and kidnapped two Israeli soldiers.

2. Israel has been targeting "suspected" military targets set-up within the civilian population. They have screwed up and killed many innocent civilians. They claim that they are trying to avoid civilain casualties.

3. hezbollah an armed forse is wantonly and knowingly firing rockets at a civilian population. They are purely targeting civilians. They do not even claim to be firing at military targets.

4. The governments of Lebanon, Syria or Iran have made no demand to hezbollah to quit the fighting.

The killing in the Middle East is based on hatred and bigotry, both sides will not see the others point of view nor attempt to meet half way. Israel wants the hezbollah attacks from Lebanon to stop..hezbollah wants Israel pushed into the sea.

As for the US, Stay Out!

Let the people in the Middle East battle it out and solve their own problems...it's not the US's fight or problem. Neither Israel nor hezbollah attacked the US. The people of the Middle East should be able to have whatever government they want... or is imposed upon them. The US is doing the right thing this time...nothing.

:elephant:

"Fidel,

Question for you...DO you condone or support armed forces killing civilians indiscriminately?

Don't lie...I'll answer for you...YES you do!"

Sorry, I don't get it.

Of course you don't.

My point was:

hezbollah is committing the same act of atrocity for which you condemn Israel, targeting and killing innocent civilians. You are quick to condemn Israel, but I missed your condemnation of hezbollah.

Ok,

"1. This round of killing in Lebanon started when hezbollah, an armed militia, enterd Israel and kidnapped two Israeli soldiers."

Does it matter that the Israelis are holding thousands of Palestinians and Lebanese prisoners, many of whom they snatched after crossing an international border?

They hold them without access to lawyers or their families, many without charge and with no prospect of a trial. Many of these prisoners are women and minors. Many are innocent. The international community is doing nothing to press for their freedom. Given this fact I can understand why they would kidnap a few soldiers as leverage.

Story of 17 year old female Palestinian prisoner

"2. Israel has been targeting "suspected" military targets set-up within the civilian population. They have screwed up and killed many innocent civilians. They claim that they are trying to avoid civilain casualties."

It takes one hell of a screw up to fill all those Mass Graves .

"The US is doing the right thing this time...nothing."

Wrong. They're providing the Israeli military with hardware and preventing the security council from calling for a ceasefire. Fuck the US.

US fills rush order for bombs from Israel

US blocks UN call for end to hostilities

You're not very well informed, are you Chuck?

Archived