Middle East crisis.

Guest baldrick

"UN officials contacted the Israeli army to inform them that a team of Chinese military engineers attached to the UN force in Lebanon intended to repair the bridge on the Beirut to Tyre road to enable the transport of humanitarian supplies.

According to the UN, Israeli officials said the engineers would become a target if they attempted to repair the bridge.

Senior UN officials reacted angrily to the destruction of a temporary causeway over the Litani river overnight. "We must be able to have movement throughout the country to deliver supplies. At this point we can't do that," said David Shearer, the humanitarian coordinator for Lebanon. "The deliberate targeting of civilian infrastructure is a violation of international law."

Can anyone justify this?

IMHO this makes the Israelis SCUM.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/israel/Story/0,,1839442,00.html

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we'll start seeing a growing Chinese presence in the ME. Their economy has gotten the thirst (need) for oil that America and the west has and they are going the same route we have. They are slowly getting more involved politically to ensure the free flow of oil. That any flare ups, even in areas that don't have oil, affects the price.

I will continue to say that the G8, EU, need to come together decide on an alternative energy source or some source that removes the need for ME oil. Hybrid, fuel cell, nuclear, or a combination thereof. The need for oil will always tie the U.S. to the region. Remove the common enemy from the ME and they'll go back to infighting.

Mai Luk, we can just go round-n-round on this...how is Isreal to be applauded when they do exactly the same shit to innocent civilians -- even if you exclude the entire Muslim population of Lebannon whom you obviously feel are guilty of something. What about all the Xtians and pro-American Lebanese? Well, they don't exist anymore, so fuck 'em, eh?

The situation for civilians is a cataclysm. Doesn't matter whether their pro US or pro Hezbollah they do not deserve what has happened.

So who gets the blame for civilian deaths/refugees. When Hezbollah fires one of its 200 rockets fired per day (targeting civilians as always) they launch from a civilian area then hide behind civilians. Knowing full well that Israel will respond by targeting the launch site. Hezbollah wants civilians in lebanon to be hit. They then instantly have photographers take pictures which are instantly published within minutes of the strike. Europe sees the pics and throws up its arms over the evil israelis killing civilians.

Obviously the fault for civilian deaths is not a black and white question.

Sorry, the Isrealis are not victims (six deaths by Hesbollah rockets in six years, remember), but as much criminals as their neighbors. Even moreso, if you look at bodycount.

People look at bodycount and conclude that israel is wrong. These people are not facing the hezbollah army sitting across their border.

The israelis have a different view that has nothing to do with current body counts. If they leave hezbollah alone it grows stronger and more dangerous. It would be easier for israelis to put their head in the sand and hope they go away. OTOH the israeli leaders can take action now and try to reduce the problem before it gets to be the 800 pound gorilla on the doorstep.

Both options are dangerous and will lead to civilian deaths either now or later. The big risk of taking action now is that world opinion will be based on the simple notion that civilians getting killed means israel is wrong, without looking at the long term problem of a relentless hezbollah faced by israel.

The UN mandated that hezbollah be disarmed. They not only have not been disarmed but are so well armed they have maintained a sustained rocket barrage since July 12th. They have fired thousands of rockets targeting civilians. Israelis respond by targeting launch sites. Yet the world says israelis are war criminals. There is no way for israel to win the public relations battle.

The last thing israel wants is to occupy Lebanon they already know what a nightmare that is. At the moment they are asking the UN to step in. Nice try. IMO the UN will not do it. Disarming hezbollah (those arab heroes :doah: ) is dangerous and UN troops are going to die if they attempt it. The result is that the israelis will stay in S Lebanon for an extended time.

"UN officials contacted the Israeli army to inform them that a team of Chinese military engineers attached to the UN force in Lebanon intended to repair the bridge on the Beirut to Tyre road to enable the transport of humanitarian supplies.

According to the UN, Israeli officials said the engineers would become a target if they attempted to repair the bridge.

Senior UN officials reacted angrily to the destruction of a temporary causeway over the Litani river overnight. "We must be able to have movement throughout the country to deliver supplies. At this point we can't do that," said David Shearer, the humanitarian coordinator for Lebanon. "The deliberate targeting of civilian infrastructure is a violation of international law."

Can anyone justify this?

IMHO this makes the Israelis SCUM.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/israel/Story/0,,1839442,00.html

IDF has also placed on notice thaty no vehicles will be allowed to travel in the buffer zone. And yes it can be justified. Its a warzone. Hezbollah is firing 200 rockets per day into israel. They are supplied with these rockets via river crossings and vehicles.

If the rocket attacks are to be stopped it would be helpful if the UN would not rebuild the bridges used by hezbollah.

I honetly believe that Israel and their Western backers are pursuing a policy of keeping the Arabs down' date=' keeping them underdeveloped for their own reasons.

[/quote']

I think you have touched on the core of the problem. Israel wants peace but on it's own terms.

Perhaps there was a time when Israel could have been integrated peacefully into the region but things have gone too far. Thinking they can ever do it simply by maintaining military superiority is absurd.

You guys are killing me. You have graduated from Arab league Propaganda 101?

:D

5 million jews on a narrow slice of dessert sitting between the mediterranean on one side and 200 million arabs on the other. Its all the jews fault for keeping the arabs "down." So when should we start the next pogrom?

I have a question. Mai Luk, do you believe that the Palestinians should just disappear into the other Arab nations? Accept the fact that their homes have been stolen, melt away, stop fighting for their rights? Would that make it all better?

Fidel,

Forgot to address this one. Obviously this is the most intractable problem out there. We could debate whether the jews stole the palestinian homes but would not solve the current problem regardless whether it was theft by jews or self preservation at a time of civil war. Bush has come out and fully supported a "two nations side by side solution". One of the few things in his career that makes sense.

Hamas is not the solution but i don't claim to know what is.

The last thing israel wants is to occupy Lebanon they already know what a nightmare that is. At the moment they are asking the UN to step in. Nice try. IMO the UN will not do it. Disarming hezbollah (those arab heroes :doah: ) is dangerous and UN troops are going to die if they attempt it. The result is that the israelis will stay in S Lebanon for an extended time.

Som nam na. It is Israel's mess (as Iraq is ours), it did not have to happen, and now they are stuck with it and the concequences. THAT'S what cowboy (lack or) diplomacy gets you. The non-military idiots in power (in the US & Israel) fail to realize that they have already done this for 18 years and left for good cause (uh, they failed). They must want to go back...which makes them idiots, as doing the same repeatedly expecting a different result is a main symptom. No other explanation.

Under Israel & US foreign policy, my obversation is that one is perfectly justified to burn down your neighbor's house if his kids steal your dog. I just do not get it, and never will, so save your breath.

Civilization just seems to be going backwards at lightspeed...

Regards,

SD

PS -- If Hesbollah is "targetting civilians" how come the Israeli casualty count is 103 killed with 2/3 of those military. Maybe you should open your eyes and make your own decisions instead of parroting talking points of the war hawks.

Archived