Middle East crisis.

Guest baldrick

The israeli operations and the US actions at the UN seem coordinated. To what end?

The israelis r determined to cripple hezbollah or so it seems.

If we had a different administration here in the US i would be suspicious that israel is trying to draw iran into the conflict by attacking iran's client hezbollah. This would create a pretext for some type of US action against iran which is something neocons have wanted for a very long time.

But the bush crowd is not that clever.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The israeli navy has implemented a naval blockade of hezbollah. Hezbollah hit one of their ships with a guided missile. I heard a blurb on the news that the chinese developed this missile in the 90s and sold hundreds (thousand?) to iran. Question: Anyone know about these. I know someone mentioned these in another thread a few months back. Can naval power be checked with this type of fire power?

MaiLuk said:

The leader of hezbollah is on tv live. Said they intentionally did NOT hit the chemical factory when they fired rockets into Haifa. The implication being that this will get ugly for the israelis if they don't quit.

They are sending some strong messages. The missiles are effective and they have bigger ones.

From that BBC link:

The attack on the Israeli missile boat - one of its most sophisticated warships, a Saar-5 class corvette - also raises many questions.

It was hit by a Chinese-made, radar-guided C-802 missile.

Did Israeli intelligence not know that these anti-shipping missiles had been given to Hezbollah by Iran?

Israel's naval electronics and defensive systems are among the best in the world, defensive systems intended to counter just such a threat. Some reports suggest that they were not even operating on board the vessel that was hit.

If those missiles can level the playing field by cancelling out US (and others) naval capabilities, that has to be one of the most significant military developments in the last 50 years. There seems to be not too much mainstream coverage of this in the US. These missiles might point up what a waste of money the US navy is and we would not want to know that would we?

>>The mistake was letting them all get as big and powerful as they did...we (as in the "civilized wordl") should have put the brakes on these lunes before they got things like bombs, Nukes WMD etc...of course, we probably sold them all that shit to start with, but why bring that up now? <<

So you advocate a pro-active military role in the ME. Retroactively that is. But if it was the right thing to do fifty years ago, is it not even more important to be proactive now? Not saying it is, just wondering IF it is.

Archived