endless Visa Runs are over!!!

Mentors

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

looks like there will be many English teachers , bar owners etc wintering in Malaysia, Singapore or going back home ,

Pretty much puts the falang condo business in the shits ,

Plus it gives the BG wifes 3 months vacation from their falang husbands who have not gotten pernanent visas yet , :)

This is going to be a big mess :(

OC

Sounds great but information coming from an informal meeting does not quite cut it.

If my memory serves me right, I think immigration is using the same equipment that the US is using. If so, expect data sharing.

I think half of the problem is the farangs who work under the table and pay no taxes that are the root of the problem. As the article mentioned, some of these people are criminals who have fled from their home countries and have taken up residence and work in Thailand.

I got the feeling that this is going to hurt a lot of people, especially people like me who owns

property.

Just about everybody thought Gadfly had lost his marbles but I think he was right on with this one.

WHo/what is to say the farangs living/working illeagally in Thailand will leave? Not unless they have to right? no problem unless caught...right now, the Visa runs are a way to stay semi leagal. Maybe Thailand should just start charging a lot for visa runs? Maybe 1000bht the first 30 day stamp, 3000 the next, keep raising up until it is cheaper to go home than stay...clearly there has to be a better way.

Well I know a farang who lives on a 20k baht pension and does Ranong visa runs every month and an other guy who runs a bar/restaurant/internetfarang food shop same place. The first one has no other choice than to find his luck somewhere else, the second will need to marry the woman he lives with and has children with. I know he had no intention to marry her. I no longer live there but could give them a call...

And there is this guy who got a retirement visa 5 years ago and went home to visit family to find out his visa was void when he re-entered Thailand. He is on VOA since then. What will he do? Does he know what to do? Get an O-A somewhere, then get his ass to bangkok and re-apply for a retirement visa?

I see many people will be in the dark, figuring out what to do or giving up and leaving this xenophobic country.

Just note that in Europe any citizen can move to an country in the union, live and work there without visa or workpermit, buy land and house and die peacefully. That's the way forward. Thailand is walking backwards making living here more and more dificult. The message is clear: The chinese owners of this country dont want foreigners to live here, I suppose WE are the arrogant bastards for them. :shocked:

I think only a few officials are for this , this was an over-reaction to the Karr case ,

Now how do they back away from this and save face ?

Unfortunately many people abused the tourist visa system by becoming permanent tourists on paper when they owned condos, businesses, had long term Thai GFs and kids,

It will not be how the regulations are writen now , but it will take months to sort it out , and then they will change it because of pressure from the condo market etc.

But for the next few months there will be many sad stories ,

and even more if its a few visa every time you cross the border as that will stop tourists from visiting Loas , cambodia etc , or they may get stuck on the wrong side of the border if they do not know the rules

OC

Archived