WARNING! Customs at Suvarnabhumi

llso

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Kapok stuffing in the triangular backrest portion of those ubiquitous folding mats so popular with tourists contains rice straw, which is prohibited entry into the US unless it has been sterilized by steam in a USDA-approved facility.

US customs at SFO stopped my wife & I from bringing one through a few years ago, although other friends had no problems doing so previously. They did allow us to bring in the folding mat portion after hacking off the backrest though... :crazy:

I admit, this seems a bit rediculis, but they are mainly concerned with certain products which might carry parasites or other nasty shit that could wipe out the food belt...also mainly interested in large shipments of out of state fruit...

From the stateline into the Central valley/"Grape Vine" is a good distance, but the concern isn't that they couldn't fly in (they'd die off along the way) but rather that they could be transported into the food belt, and maybe wipe out entire crops...

Apparently in Oz birds aren't allowed to fly from one state to another. Unfortunately the birds can't read the no flying signs and so the government employs people to shoot the birds if they try. Now the state boundaries in Oz are very long so either they've got a hell of a lot of shooters or not a lot of birds? :confused:

we have beagle dogs that sniff out food when you are waiting for your bags.....

I am sure that 90% of the stuff gets thru anyway but at least they are trying :)

and the Nevada-California checkpoint was empty last Friday , so all those pesky bugs came in when no one was looking ...

OC

Apparently in Oz birds aren't allowed to fly from one state to another. Unfortunately the birds can't read the no flying signs and so the government employs people to shoot the birds if they try. ...

Farmers shoot birds when they are pests. Depending on the species they need to get a permit.

The bit about them getting shot crossing borders is wrong. They have passports.

Archived