WARNING! Customs at Suvarnabhumi

llso

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I noticed the announcement on board the plane (TG)in thai and english concerning the maximum amount of ciggies you are allowed to bring into the country.

Checked with my colleague at work who was primo october fined 20.000 baht for 5 cartons.

He carried the cartons through customs in a clear plastic bag. :confused: Was then stopped outside the terminal by a police man who had a tag affixed to his shirt pocket picturing a cigarette with a red line across it.

The officier and his driver brought my colleague and his missus to a precint down town and declined to accept that they pay the fine on the spot.

The fine was calculated by asking them how much they originally paid for the ciggies and multiplying that amount with 3!

I have no doubts that this is an accurate report, he sure has been making a lot of noise about it at work.

cheers

hua nguu

But, here's my question, what the hell do the Thai police have to do with all this? Isn't this supposed to be done by Customs? I feel it is a scam of some sort, a way for the new police station whose jurisdiction the new airport might come under to boost their earnings with these odious fines. I mean, why even have the customs clerks working there if the police have the authority to do this? What is up with that?

Just smells funny to me. And the amount of the fines sounds outrageous to me. Why not just confiscate the extra ciggies and booze right there and sell at the night market? :smirk:

It sounds like the Customs guys are in collusion with the cops and are letting people walk through who have obvious contraband to be picked up by the cops and fined over the top, and probably getting the customs guys a kick-back from the cops. Maybe? I just can't fathom why this is being done AFTER customs out front of the airport, rather than inside customs BEFORE you exit the customs area. Just doesn't sound kosher to this person.

Cent

Just got into LOS last night via China Airlines and made sure I only had 1 carton of cigs to be on the safe side. Just as we approached China Air also made an announcement about the 200 cig limit and something about random checks and heavy penalties if one is caught with excess.

Didn't see anyone being checked as we all went thru the "nothing to declare line" and I had 4 pieces of luggage I was dragging along with me, but they didn't even give us a glance. On my last trip however, they were stopping people for random checks.

Cent,

This is or has been my position on this. Yes, I can see that it would happen, though suspect. But now some people I do know to be credible, as saying so. But I find it really odd that the Thai and Farang press has not really hyped it. Usually, they really boast of crack downs and seizures etc...Also wonder if anyone is bitching higher up to the Thai consulates at home etc...Also find it odd that they seem to be focused on Cigarettes only, not booze or other stuff, perfume etc...

Archived