WARNING! Customs at Suvarnabhumi

llso

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got back this morning to K.C., via Taiwan, San Francisco and Chicago. I don't think that I'll go that route again even to save money. I've been checked the last four times coming back from LOS, so no DVD movies this time or non-prescribed drugs. I left 5 hours between landing in S.F. and leaving for Chicago, just in case. Sure enough, with one piece of luggage, a large box and one carryon piece of luggagae, I was pulled aside. I explained to the lady that I was bringing back 11 cushions for the teak furniture that I had imported last year. I had no problems with her. She looked at some of the pictures of the house that I am building and we talked about the motercycle accident I had in July, as her son is an avid motorcycle rider. She x-rayed the box, so she didn't have to cut it open, then sent me on my way after maybe 25-30 minutes. I go back to LOS after Thanksgiving and then come back to the U.S. for Christmas, probably carrying virturely nothing, so I'm looking forward to seeing if they pull me aside then, which would make me believe that there are several notes on my file.

I never got stopped by customs arriving in LOS on 30 trips, but next flight (soon) I will carry several bottles of wine and my preferred champagne, Piper Heidsieck rose. Hmm, don't want to get fined ten thousand baht for that.

Wines in LOS are crap due to bad conservation, I bring my own. I still will do this, the risks are minimal. Anyway, it's stupid to fine people for bringing some of there preferred booze or cigs.

Just curious; since you can't bring in liquor in your carry-on luggage and just in check in luggage (except if you buy in duty free shops), are you going to trust either the baggage examiners or baggage handlers not to either steal or break your bottles? I plan on bringing in one or two bottles next time, one in each suitcase and bubble wraped. I do plan on bringing in two irish chystal lamps, worth 700 euros a piece, in my carry on and would be very unhappy if they were confiscaded. I've never been checked going into LOS but I don't buy anything from dutyfree shops either, so I don't have the sacks identifying me as a liquor purchaser.

...If you are passing through California, and you get stopped, expect problems! Many have had the pillows/cusions etc taken. In fact, they specifically ask me if I have any, damned near every time...

It must be a very serious issue, if every time you pass through Californian customs they ask you if you've got any pillows or cushions with you! Does this happen to everyone or do you just look like someone who is likely to be carrying cushions with him? :confused:

Munch,

California has really strict agricultural laws...something like 2/3s of the nations food is grown in the San Jaquain valley (or canned food or whatever) point is, bugs and what not from other countries can reack havoc on the eco system. They even stop you when you drive in and check your car for fruit.

Often, the cusions are stuffed with sort of natural fiber or a leaf of some type...which could conatain some sort of bug or bug larva...so hence the special interest, as they know these are a popular souvonier from LOS.

And, yes, see my numerous rants on getting stopped by customs just about every god damned time I return from LOS...apparently, I do indeed look like some sort of customs problem...

Just curious; since you can't bring in liquor in your carry-on luggage and just in check in luggage (except if you buy in duty free shops), are you going to trust either the baggage examiners or baggage handlers not to either steal or break your bottles? I plan on bringing in one or two bottles next time, one in each suitcase and bubble wraped. I do plan on bringing in two irish chystal lamps, worth 700 euros a piece, in my carry on and would be very unhappy if they were confiscaded. I've never been checked going into LOS but I don't buy anything from dutyfree shops either, so I don't have the sacks identifying me as a liquor purchaser.

I carried wine/alcohol bubble wrapped in my luggage a hundred times, never had a broken bottle. I did have jam jars opened spontaneousely though and although plastic wrapped made some dammage inside...

Now 700 euros christal lamps, that's risky for possible dammage. Have you seen how they throw luggage when loading/offloading a plane :shakehead You could have wrapped/checked that separately as a fragile item?

The top and bottom of the lamps are made of cut crystal and I brought the tops through this last time in my carry on, double bubble wrapped. Any crystal that I carry will be in my carry on (with me advising anyone that puts their bag next to mine to be careful not to jam their bag in). This last time, I had a small crystal tray slightly cracked but it must have been on the train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai because I checked everything in my Bangkok hotel and nothing was broken/cracked at that time. If I carry any crystal glasses with me, it will be in my pockets in my jacket or overcoat, as well as the carry on. I figure it will take me 4 trips to bring all the crystal that I want in LOS. The biggest pain is that crystal can not be seen through by x-ray, so I have to unpack it at every security point, which, for me, means K.C. and Narita. So I have to leave plenty of time. Before July, most of the booze that I carried was in my carry on and fortunately, I have already carried most of the booze over $100. I still have 9 bottles sitting in my basement that I would like to bring and with 3 trips in the next 9 months, I'll bring 3 at a time in the checked bags, double wrapped.

Archived