WARNING! Customs at Suvarnabhumi

llso

thanks for your reply to my post,i tend to get the feeling that you do not believe me,well it is true i returned on tuesday 1st november ,the person fined is still there,and if it had not been for other friends in the group with cashcards she would have had a bigger problem due to the £200.00 limit on daily withdrawals,forgive me if i am wrong but your reply was somewhat doubtful i my opinion,thanks anyway

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sorry but I find your attitude vey aggressive to newbies and it does you no favours. You come across as the board bully just because you post here frequently and u have been here on holiday for a few times.

Let me tell you I was fined 30,000 baht after bringing in 400 cigarettes at the new airport. There are plenty of people on this board who know me including the board owner if u think I need any justification.Is that good enough credentials for u??? :mad:

Yes, as you are the first, "First hand report" And not someone mearly repeating the same old story over again ("...I heard..." "...my friends told me..." etc..) Now, who got you and where? Customs guys inside? or "cops" outside?

"...I'm sorry but I find your attitude vey aggressive to newbies and it does you no favours. You come across as the board bully just because you post here frequently and u have been here on holiday for a few times..."

I think we have actually met before, might be wrong, in any event, don't really care, I will call things the way I see them. And I will remind you, if you reread here, some other guys had/have their doubts about this as well.

Now please enlighten us with all the details of your ordeal, which is so far, something all the others have failed to do, thus fueling my doubt.

I believe your story because you have been around along time. But as you are aware, when someone posts a story on the internet there are times when others will repeat the story elsewhere (and repeatedly). Before you know it the story is all over the internet and people start believing that this is something that happens all the time.

You didn't specify if customs got you or some freelancer cop waiting to shake down tourists dragged you down to the station. Its the "stories" about the shakedowns that are circulating everywhere and scaring people. Its a good idea to call bullshit on those stories until something beyond internet rumours proves them true.

OH replied to me :-

"Heavy sigh...you also missed my point...the post count has little to do with it"

Heavy sigh also.You missed my point. Please allow me to refresh your memory of your posts on this topic :-

"These are the 2 guys who posted it on Thai Visa...as you can see, both fairly low POST COUNTS, making it probable they joined for the purpose of starting a prank...didn't think of that rerally, as bribes/shake downs are sometimes an occurrance. Wonder what the point of it is? Here they are..."

Yeah, but I double checked the POST COUNTS on Thai visa, when I see a guy with 10 or so posts ranting like that, it is as though he joined a board just to post that 1 thing. Happens here as well. I am not saying it cannot happen, but it does sound odd...but as I said, break the rules, pay the price...

I am not sure I or anyone is saying it *CAN'T* happen, rather we are saying the particular stories I posted/quoated are perhapes not 100% accurate. If you look at the source (Thai Visa.com), you will notice 2 stories were posted both by posters with fairly low POST COUNTS.

Now, if someone who posted here more often, and was known by some of the board members posted the same outrageous story, you might be more inclined to take it seriously no? It has happened here many times.

I frankly still lean towards thinking the original reports were either isolated incidents, or total BUllshit.

Some more of your posts on this topic -

Again, I tend to think most of these stories are BullShit...

Well, yes, of course they catch the obvious...but all the sources I put credibility into say these stories are just that, stories, as in not true...or at worst, isolated incidents....ALL have stemed from the 1-2 posts on Thai Visa, wghich later made their way around the internet, and even look at the post a few back, claiming the same thing...2 posts...? anyone know this guy?

When someone I kinow and trust from this board, or any board comes on here and says "...this is what happened to me..." not "...I heard, or My friend said..." from some anonymous guy no one really knows...then I will believe there is something to it, for now, I tend to think these stories are all just bullshit.

Then somebody (alancee) joins to post their experience -

"its true,big crackdown on tobbaco,friends of mine who should know better got arrested,shipped to the police station in bk fined £600.00 ,yes pounds for bringing in menthol fags ,this happened last week of october,28th i think ,no kidding ,so dont do it they are cheaper there"

To which OH replies

Wow! No kidding? really!? Wow! and thanks for joining this board just to warn us all about it Thanks!...again, this just smacks of Bullshit/0 credibility...

You come across as arrogant and self centred, and seem to consider yourself a real "authority" on Thailand, which is pretty funny as you don't live here.

Feel free to disregard this post as I have less than 100 posts under my belt.

INTJ.

Ok I'm sorry if I was too direct in my reply to you but I was frustrated at the dismissing of the story when I know first hand it does happen.

I won't post details of my incident but I have sent you a PM with the reason why. I am sure you will understand why I won't post it here.

All is cool, and let me also offer my apologies if I came off heavy handed in any way, I hate to be a dick, but sometimes it is just second nature to me :) Understand your situation fully, and thank you.

thank you,the incident did take place and it was outside the customs after she had cleared,cigs bought at heathrow and stop off at i think doha or something like that ethiad airways anyway,not concealed ,just in a plastic bag, my flight ,thia,on 10th October on the approach to the airport, the cabin staff broadcast on the speakers the limit on cigarettes which i have not heard before,leaning towards they knew something was going on.allthough i am a new poster on this sight i am not a newbie to thailand ,we like the place for what it offers,no where i have found in the world can match it in our opinion ,open to suggestions though,regards alancee

Archived