WARNING! Customs at Suvarnabhumi

llso

:shocked:

There have been reports that foreigner a.k.a Falangs have been shaked down at the new airport for exceeding the duty-free allowances on tobacco and liqour. Be very careful as exorbitant fines have been levied. The allowable duty is 1 carton (200 cigs). and 1 liter of liquor.

LL

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can say that again, colleague of mine was busted and fined 20.000 baht for bringing 5 cartons of cigarettes into Thailand.

Why anyone would wanna bring cigarettes to Thailand is beyond me, especially when the ciggies he brought cost 200 baht a package.

cheers

hn

I hate smokers but a smoker mate of mine told me the Marlbro made in thailand sucks compered to malbro made elsewhere and often asked me to bring him back some

DOG

kind of reminds me of the guy buying a crack pipe, was worried the glass mite have lead in it.

poison is poison

Copied from Thai Visa.com....

A group of five friends arrived at the new airport two days ago for their well earned one month holiday in Pattaya. Four of them being smokers, and not liking the brands avialable in Thailand decided to bring a reasonable supply of their own cigs from the duty free in England. O.K. 10 sleeves each might be excessive but they were purely for their own use, plus maybe a few packets for me , hopefully.

After being searched the five lads were dutifully wisked away to some police station approx half an hour away where they had all the cigs taken off them and a fine of 3,000 (Three thousand pounds) deducted from their wallets.

Given the choice of pay or go directly to jail (Whether Bluffing or not ) the lads coughed up and after five hours were let go to continue on their journey to Patters.

Another family of four (Man ,wife and two young kids ) were fined 1,000 pounds and not having enough money to continue their holiday got the next flight home.

Could this be another money making scam from the customs. Surley the duty on fifty sleeves of cigs can't be that high. Don't get me wrong, they new they had exeeded the limit but three grand is not a nice way to start your hols.

TIT the land of smiles

Just be carefull lads

We have today had visitors arriving from the UK (a family of four, 2 Adults and 2 teenage Sons) who were detained and then fined 35,000THB (£500) for having too many cigarrettes.

They had five cartons they had purchased in Abu Dabi on the way here.

As this is their first visit to Thailand, they were understandibly shocked as they were all four taken by Police truck to be grilled for 2 hours regarding this "crime", away from the airport terminal.

Furthermore, they were not alone in receiving this treatment, several other UK passengers on the same flight were detained for the same reason.

As many ex-pats will have visitors coming over PLEASE WARN THEM ABOUT THE STRICT ENFORCEMENT OF DUTY FREE ALLOWANCES.

The laws are now apparently being rigorously applied. Limits are 200 cigarettes and 1 litre of spirits per adult.

This has been an awful start to my friends holiday, as they were treated like criminals for hours upon arrival.

If you can advise your family and friends, you will avoid similar problems.

Ok, I'll be the dick head and say it...know the rules before you go, obey the rules, don't complain if you get caught. We have enjoyed getting away with shit for years, and now it seems it may be comming to an end.

Every country has rules, break them and pay. Now, all that said, is there any place to look up exactly what the fines are? Were these people charged the appropriate amount? or was more taken? If miore was taken, then I have a problem with that of course.

I know in the USA, if you get caught with certain amounts of stuff, and you have not declared it, you will be reamed royally. ZFoolish to think it wouldn't be the case elsewhere.

Archived