Nabobs of Negativism . . .

unit731

Well, I visited a friend who has a legit numbered copy of Windows Vista Beta directly from Microsoft (latest Beta).

And it is absolutely fantastic. So much better than XP.

And . . for those who frown on Microsoft OS's, go get yourself a copy of Redhat Linux. Good Luck!

:wave:

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
'And it is absolutely fantastic. So much better than XP. '

Would you mind explaining this in more detail?

[color:brown][/color]I wish I could provide specific geek/techno data and information. But I am an amateur technology person. I couldn't explain why XP is better than Windows 3.1 if asked.

As for copy of Apple. All of them copied Xerox "Skunk Works" or Xerox PARC in the beginning including Apple.

Uh, so if you can't explain it, how did you determine that it is better? Really...not just piss taking. Does it have prettier pictures, or pleasing sounds, or give you a blowjob on command, or something else?

Why would I want to migrate to Vista from XP?

Regards,

LT

So you may say that you like Vista more than XP, or that it looks nicer.

You may mention that Vista includes DVD Authoring while XP doesn't.

As millions other people I installed Vista RC1 to get a peek inside. Went for the 64bit version cause 64bit support would be a reason for an upgrade.

Otherwise I found nothing that will make me change from XP.

Unfortunately I found a few things that will prevent me from changing:

- Vista 64bit only accepts signed drivers. No problem for all the devices inside the computer (well, most), but trouble with peripherals. Very much likely that smaller manufacturers will not provide signed drivers for older hardware because of effort and money needed. At present I have a laserprinter, scanner, digital satellite card and data cable for my handphone that aren't working and for which most likely there will be no signed drivers ever. Hardware in mint condition.

I tried the Vista 32bit beta once and because it doesn't require signed drivers I could trick it to accept drivers designed for XP. Just that with the 32bit version there's even less reason for a change of OS.

- The reason why only signed drivers are allowed is Microsofts deep kowtow before the content industry. DRM buried deep in the kernel. Drivers have to be singned not because to ensure system stability, but to ensure they will not disable/trick/cheat DRM.

Hey, there must be a thai girl out there that I can call DRM so she can lick my ass.

- While Vista RC1 is much faster than the older beta releases it is still much slower than XP. That is without Aero Glass activated.

- Start menu. Right column. White script on dark background. Those M$ guys seem to be stickman fans. Ok, together with the wallpaper and other optical gimmicks this can be changed to more neutral colors.

- Licence policy. What I read was that with some versions of Vista a specific key can be used for activation only twice. That was said for the versions aiming at home users.

I have seen a few things with computers. I might be a bad example, doing a fresh setup about twice a year, sometimes just for fun. But look at the 'normal' user: things like broken harddrives, major hardware changes, a virus you can't get rid of. This happens more than once and honest users would have to pay again for their OS. And believe me, that'll happen.

So as of now there's not much Vista can offer to make me change, but lots of reasons why I stick with what I've got.

Change for the sake of change will never be a valid determining factor.

As for running a large business with lots of gidgets, widgets, and didgits, well, the cost may never justify the expense.

Dump the computer you just purchased last year? Of course not.

Mine is old and tired. And I will wait for Vista to arrive. Know what? I seen it up close. I just like it. 'Nough said!

:wave:

Archived