Nabobs of Negativism . . .

unit731

I think Vista will be riddled with spyware. Everything about your computer and the way you use the computer will get uploaded to Microsoft whenever you connect to the internet. :shhh:

[color:purple]Spying? Big Brother? George Orwell 1984.

Everything is being monitored now. Cell phones. Did you know that there is a chip built into all cell phones so that Big Brother can find you at any time? Cameras. Just read about the cameras in London and UK. They are everywhere. Credit reporting agencies have all your personal information - financial and age anyway. Then there is the secret medical database that few know about. Ever been to a doctor? Well the information is there. In US with the enhanced 911, all homes must have a number. Even if you had enough money to purchase 10,000 acres of undeveloped land in the middle of Montana and placed a hunting cabin in the middle - that cabin must have a street number.

For you Yanks, go to www.zabasearch.com and enter your name and see what comes up free. Never mind what you can get for a fee.

There are no secrets. [/color]

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Information is power and there are many, many individuals, governments, business, etc that want to have that power over you.

At one time, you could request that your data be taken out of such listings, but then they find a loop hole and you have to start all over again.

Tie your privacy to $$$, class action law suit, then you can get some privacy back...IMO.

I have a friend, he and his wife (children gone now) have windows 98. For years, I heard of this unit crashing, long tech support calls, reformat the computer and on and on.

One of the adult children offered them XP. Guess what. They declined. It's the learning curve. They don't want to learn something all over again. They like Windows 98 and don't want anything else. They do not like change.

Hi,

My mother just recently upgraded from Windows 3.1 (yes, you read that correctly :) ) to Windows XP. My old 486 she was using finally died on her (after about 12-13 years) and so she has started using a laptop I gave her. The learning curve will be a bit steep, but she wants to learn and use the internet more.

I talked her through using Outlook Express and the next step is for my brother-in-law to setup Skype and a webcam for her.

I'd like to install some kind of remote access tool on her machine though, so I can take it over from here if necessary. I think it would make things much easier if we could both see the same screen when I am explaining things. And of course I could do maintenance from here. Anybody have a suggestion for such a tool?

Sanuk!

Remote Assistance available in XP on the start menu or Help and Support works very good for connecting to another PC. The person requesting the assistance can see their desktop and watch as you control the mouse and keyboard inputs once they agree to turn control over. You definitely wouldn't want to use a slow connection to do it though.

The first time you do it is a bit tricky but worth the effort if successful. I recommend using Windows Messenger to initiate the session (an email account is another option but I haven't had much success with that method). This would mean you and your mother would need hotmail or MSN accounts to use as a Messenger login and start a chat session from here she would send you a request for remote assistance via a clickable option in Messenger.

Practice at home if you have two XP PCs.

I Second Symantec PC Anywhere, having used it myself in various guises over the years.

Very similar applications to what Cavanami has been using (we are in the same field) I have installed it into every Controls System I have installed since 2001. So now when they get a problem in say the Drilling Fields in the Middle of Oman, I can resolve the issues from BKK rather than having to fly out there.

But for basic PC Maintenance this may be an overkill, as Keekwai pointed out, the basic Remote Assistance of XP should be sufficient. a fact mentioned in This Review

Archived