National Park Pricing, The Other Side

Mekong

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dual pricing in Thailand when I first started to go to Thailand a long time ago did piss me off,I admit it. After thinking about it, dual pricing exists many places especially in Hawaii. Who cares, I am a guest in Thailand for the two weeks a month I live there every month for many many years. I see many farangs upset the thai's at places that have dual pricing...what good does it do to make a big deal about something you can do nothing about...the person is just doing his/her job. jai yen yen

>Who cares, I am a guest

Me. I care. I am *not* a guest here, I work here and pay taxes here (unlike 90% of all Thai's I hasten to add).

To mekong, I have a 50% or so sucess rate using a Thai ID card, some times it works. I do get a bit steamed when I get the "shrug, you farang - and I don't give a shit" attitude....Problem is as always if you have dragged yourself and family/kids out, its tough on *them* if you want to make a stand....

-j-

Hi,

"Problem is as always if you have dragged yourself and family/kids out, its tough on *them* if you want to make a stand...."

Yep. Remember an instance where I went to the crocodile farm with my wife, one of her friends and the friend's 5-year-old daughter. My wife went to buy the tickets and turned around suddenly and very embarrassed told me that my ticket was 300 Baht (as opposed to 50 Baht she had told me in advance, and they had to pay). She wanted to know what to do?

Now what options do I have at that point? Tell a 5-year-old that since the park owner is a greedy racist bastard we are not gonna have a day out and are going home again?

Sanuk!

I've also had a 100% success rate, without even bringing the ID card. They don't give a shit about passports and work permits that I do know, but a little gentle prodding helps :D

Last time I was in Khao Yai National Park just told them in Thai that I paid taxes and who I worked for.. they smiled and no hassle. Wat Arun even let me slide recently with no ID or anything with an apology and an explanation.

Bringing the TAX ID information card helps though, but not in Ayutthaya where I had a wench try to drag me over the coals. It was really funny because I had a tourist friend who I pointed out would pay the full price because she was on holiday :dunno: Woman was defiant and would not look at my TAX ID card or anything else.

I did the right thing though and said, "Fine I'll pay, but I want to take down your name and information to write to proper administration officials and file a complaint as this is not standard practice anywhere I've been in Thailand for a resident tax paying foreigner."

She ceased to make eye contact and just waved me in with a scowl :doah: Oh, Thailand... you're a strange minx of a country.

Cheers,

theNumbers

Archived