Christmas Tree up!

Guest baldrick

Thai Catholics are invariably descendants of Chinese or Vietnamese refugees, or else part of the old "Portuguese" community. The Chinese Catholics mainly come from one small area in southern China, where the missionaries were active over 300 years ago. Like the Vietnamese Catholics, they fled from the Communists.

The "Portuguese" are generally Portuguese in name only -- da Souza, da Silva etc. They are descended from Portuguese adventurers who married Asian women back in the 1600s and 1700s. They don't look Farang-ish at all.

p.s. I've never understood why Farangs here want to hang Buddhist amulets or figures around their neck. It immediately places them into a certain class of Farangs. I'll let you give it a name.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lazyphil

<>

My Mrs was put off eating beef when she saw a muslim guy killing one by the chaoeryer prayera river near her home in bkk (shes a bangkok person, not an essaarrn migrant.....a badge of honor :confused: ), looks like she'll be leaving me with an extra helping of my chileconcarne later today :D

Sounds intrigueing....just as long as they don't go all nuts about it i'll be fine...there's far too much joviality in BKK..it's like Oxford street in the UK but with obscene heat! So gimme a beach, thai food and way too much alcohol, that will make a fine xmas for me, no ladies tho' as i'm thai lady free diet (due to GF) but i guess it wont hurt to look at the menu, a lot...

Thai Catholics are invariably descendants of Chinese or Vietnamese refugees, or else part of the old "Portuguese" community. The Chinese Catholics mainly come from one small area in southern China, where the missionaries were active over 300 years ago. Like the Vietnamese Catholics, they fled from the Communists.

The "Portuguese" are generally Portuguese in name only -- da Souza, da Silva etc. They are descended from Portuguese adventurers who married Asian women back in the 1600s and 1700s. They don't look Farang-ish at all.

p.s. I've never understood why Farangs here want to hang Buddhist amulets or figures around their neck. It immediately places them into a certain class of Farangs. I'll let you give it a name.

What about those who just "converted?" 2 of the girls I know, were given to a Catholic orphanage as little kids, and were raised by nuns. Not sure they actually decended from anything but Thai/Lao stock...

I was up at that shrine maybe 5-6 years back, forget who killed "the martyrs and or why. Any input?

"...p.s. I've never understood why Farangs here want to hang Buddhist amulets or figures around their neck. It immediately places them into a certain class of Farangs. I'll let you give it a name..."

hmmm, I'll disagree that it puts them into a particular class of farang/tourist, any more than a Thai girl or guy wearing a cross puts them in a particular class/group. All depends on the person. I have seen a few people who look and act like twats with or without the "Thai gear." No doubt I have done it myself.

I have quite a few amulets that were given to me over the years, 1-2 More I bought. I hardly wear them, as they are gold, and I don't want to be a target for robbery. To me, it/they (amulets) are just a way of remembering the person who gave it to me more than a buddist thing. For others, it is a pretentious way to try and show a connection to Thai people/culture...as I said, depends on the person.

Guest lazyphil

i dont drink alcahol or eat rich fatty/sugerery (excludes many thai dishes too!) foods (i.e. xmas type foods) anymore but i'll allow xmas eve, day and boxing day to indulge......all the commercial nonsense that goes with xmas doesn't do much for me btw

Very few Thais convert. I've only met two -- the student who attended a Catholic girls school and another gal who just up and decided to become a Baptist when she was studying in England. (Had a big argument with her father over that. She said she told him it was none of his business.)

Where the Protestant missionaries have had their best success is with the hill tribes, who are traditionally animist. It got the Thai Buddhists so upset that they started sending monks to preach to the hill tribes. Before that the Thais ignored the hill tribes, hoping they would just go away.

I collect hand carved Buddha figures and unusual amulets. But I don't wear them, even though I am a semi-Buddhist. (Or corrupted Christian, depending on one's viewpoint.) I have several amulets given to me by a monk I used to work with, and I have carried them in a shirt pocket. But I've made a point never to take them into a bar.

As to the BGs and amulets, I'd say they regard them as lucky charms - not a religious items.

p.s. I'll see what I can find on that monument.

Archived