Christmas Tree up!

Guest baldrick

Flash,

I've seen the girls pray with these amulets, including mine...Thais in general really, including the Muay Thai trainers here. I know for some of the amulets, there are "rules" or a code of conduct involved in wearing them. Such as "don't eat beef/meat, no inappropriate sexual behavior, etc..." Or so I have been told. More less same with some of the tattoos. I do agree, that many girls/Thais may see them as lucky "charms" as well as any religious attributions.

Met as I said, a few converts to Catholicism, mainly I think for circumstances rather than a religious calling. I also met a few Thai Mormons as well...including my old Thai teacher. Olddly, all of these people (ALL women) also dabbled in some Buddist elements as well.

For myself, I like Buddism, but I can't really subscribe to any one religion. Back to the original topic, I just really hate all the crap associated with Christmas. I'd like to see people practice the kindness all year, not just "during the season."

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lazyphil

OH i went through a period of loathing xmas and all things accociated with it, but of the last number of years i've rekindled the love of it, and it maybe a shallow thing revolving around presents, xmas dinner, queens speech and watching the great escape yet again....its a magical time again for me. In los I embrace Loy Kratong (a very charming and endearing part of Thai culture) if i'm there but songkran is horrible and my mrs feels the same.

In Sillypore a lot of Christian converts, who still go to the local Chinese temple, kinda a bet each way I think of it!

Here is our tree, the kids bought outfits, bear in mind my daughter is complaining of the cold weather in Bangkok!

Being fathers day I got to do something stoopid, like seeing if the Menthos and COke was true - note you do need the 2 litre bottle!

DOG

Yeah, I still love Christmas...not for the religeon...but it still gives me a warm feeling in my heart, and happy memories of childhood. I'm now looking forward to giving all that to my daughter. Also, Dee has only had 4 Christmases (the ones with me) so it's always been like having a kid around. Fun.

Most stores like Tesco and Big C have a full aisle devoted to Christmas trees and decorations, but ZERO Christmas wrapping paper. Just generic Thai paper. Don't they understand that if we're buying the trees and decorations, we might like to wrap the gifts as well. I sure wish they'd get their head on straight about that. Otherwise we're stuck shlepping off to Villa for those expensive tiny rolls, which you need three of to wrap anything of average size.

Phil

Better not put a tree up at Work.... the UK has gone completely mental. :confused:

Source: Pennisula Legal Services

Nearly three-quarters of British firms are banning Christmas decorations in the workplace for fear of being sued, research has shown. A new survey found most bosses are scared to put up festive tinsel and Christmas trees because they might offend non-Christian workers. Law firm Peninsula said the workplace was becoming caught up in the "wave" of political correctness.

"Christmas trees and decorations may well be a thing of the past in many workplaces this Christmas as political correctness culture has spread to the workplace," managing director Peter Done said.

"Although employers who are enforcing the ban are sceptical and dismayed by this trend, they feel they have little choice in the matter due to the threat of litigation, as they have to protect themselves, their reputation and their livelihood."

Office workers at Tower Hamlets council and the Royal Bank of Scotland have also been banned from hanging up Christmas decorations at work - in case they got hurt.

Staff were barred via email from climbing on office furniture to put up decorations in case they fell off, hurt themselves and sued.

Recently, workplace dispute reconciliation advisors ACAS attracted criticism for warning bosses they had to be politically correct at office parties.

A set of guidelines issued by the service warned against running raffles at end-of-year shindigs, because they might offend Muslims, and against playing too much modern music, because it might offend older members of staff.

"....but it still gives me a warm feeling in my heart, and happy memories of childhood. I'm now looking forward to giving all that to my daughter. Also, Dee has only had 4 Christmases (the ones with me) so it's always been like having a kid around. Fun...."

Yes, this might be the difference. I basically have no happy memories of childhood, especially at Christmas time. Maybe if I had a loving wife and kid, that would help...but despite my best efforts, that has not come to pass...alas, I shall be alone again...oh well, mai pen rai...

Guest lazyphil

<>

A big factor for sure also not doing the post round job anymore for 6 years, xmas was exhausting time of the year, the 2 weeks xmas pressure totally drained my energy. :crazy:

Archived