Nine-year-old TG wounded in LA gang crossfire

elef

I'm glad to hear that the Khmer in Long Beach have started to settle down. I lived/worked in LB for quite a few years until I retired and escaped that cesspool about 9 years ago. Indeed, driving down Anaheim Blvd. would make one think he was driving down Monivong Blvd, except for the quality of the street and the lack of motorbikes. For blocks, I'd see signs in Khmer on the fronts of stores. I did business with some of those establishments from time to time...auto body shop, haircut, food, restaurants, video, etc. Interestingly, the businesses often had Viets and Khmers working side by side in some of those places.

Anyway, the Asians seem to do much better in accepting mainstream U.S. culture than other immigrant groups (say, Hispanic)and the black population. Part of the reason is probably due to a relatively small population that is geographically very distant from their original country of origin. I agree, mostly with Sorenson's points; but I also note that each of those points has been addressed significantly over the years with very little success. And I conclude that the reasons for very little success have more to do with the values of the sub-cultures than the "obstacles" they relish in identifying as the reason they're such failures in the society. This is just an anectodal piece, but makes the point about education. One day I was having a new windshield being installed in my car near the intersection of PCH and Redondo. I believe Hoover H.S. is just a few blocks away. It is a very balanced school in terms of racial/ethnic demographics. School was out and students were walking home. I was observing the students who were voluntarily practicing segregation. Whites walked with whites, hispanics with hispanics, asisans with asians, and blacks with blacks. ALL white and asian students were carrying book bags; about 50% of the hispanic students were carrying book bags; NOT ONE BLACK STUDENT was carrying a book bag. (This trend involved a casual survey of about 200 kids crossing at an intersection.) It is not surprising that 1/2 of hispanic and black students do not graduate. It is just not an important deal for these sub-cultures. It is more important to fuck off...lots easier...and then blame society for their woes. And if Bill Cosby comes down on those who perpetuate/tolerate these cultural mores, he gets a ration of shit from supposed leaders of black organizations other black activists. They don't like to hear that it's not good to have a 50% high school graduation rate, that it's not good to have 70% of their births to be illegitimate, that it's not good that 30% of their male population between the ages of 20 and 30 are under some form of court supervision. After all, they have Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton defending their stupid, fucking lifestyles. The fact that a great number of ethnic minorities reject many of the sub-cultural folkways and mores indicates that it isn't a "racial" thing...it is based on living a life based on lies, irresponsibility, and lack of courage. And yes, a lot of these "bangers" DO lack courage. I and my former "buds" have had enough contact to realize that "mano a mano" most of these punks are paper tigers...tigers that would become extinct if I had my way. They're worthless pieces of shit...and you know what Dirty Harry said about that.

HH

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived