Nine-year-old TG wounded in LA gang crossfire

elef

Military officials say they kept the recruiters on the job because the FBI told them to leave the suspects alone so as not to jeopardize the sting. The military said it also didn't know some recruiters were under investigation.

Also??? Did they know or not - both can't be true! :)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"...Really can't blame any ethnic group for what took place. More a reflection of our american culture, socio-econ status, educational system, and times/era whether minority or in the case of Los Angeles majority...."

I'll disagree with this. Certain ethnic groups do indeed favor gang and criminal activity more than others. Look at the music, and who/what certain cultures favor/hold in high esteem. Hence, certain groups that glorify the violent gang banger life style are more prone to be part of it.

In L.A. that life style is very prevelent in 2 of the major ethinic groups. It is almost part of the culture, or at least a subculture within those to ethnic groups. They almost seem to tolerate it, and in many ways, encourage it. They do little or nothing to stop it in their communities, allow their kids to run amuck, and as I said earlier, many are here illeagally to begin with. Therefore, I think fair to blame the ethnic groups these assholes were part of.

ND,

Do you think they are decorating for the Thais? It is for us and for buisiness reasons. I know some shops that leave christmas/new year decorations up all year long. But with decorations, it usually stops there. Thais like festive things so if there is any excuse for a positive celebration and party. It is more for shop (thinking what we like),and Thais are very good at accomodating others when they want to be. And this is the case...

How many Thais exchange presents and other christmas traditions? As a matter of fact, Thais know/have very litte understanding of the meaning of christmas beyond some old, fat guy with a beard (no, the falangs walking around nana) and a plastic christmas tree with things on it..

And there is no reason for them to understand so I give them credit making a superficial effort. Could you imagine us going to that extent for say a muslim or buddha holiday in america?

Christmas decorations and their effort, though, is just a miscrocasm of their "rote memory" educational system. Copying or repeating something without asking any insightful or inquistive questions and zero understanding of it.

CB

<< Flash, you remind me of Dean Barrett's book, 'Memoirs of a Bangkok Warrior'.

A lot of that book, which I thought was hilarious, must ring true for you. >>

Not really. Dean was a REMF, living it up in Thailand, the lucky bastard. He told me he spent one night (I think) in Vietnam. To add insult to injury, the GIs who served in Thailand qualified for the Vietnam campaign ribbon. The logic was that they were supporting the war, so they deserved it. :(

I always thought the guys in Thailand should be made to take a 7 day R&R in Vietnam with the infantry!

:dunno:

CB, I remember coming in late one afternoon in Vietnam -- just after sundown. We passed some very ordinary village style houses in which I could see Christmas lights and an occasional Christmas tree! I asked our interpreter if the people living there were Christians. He told me they weren't. But he said a lot of Vietnamese thought it was a fun holiday and liked to put up the lights. Bet the commies put a stop to that when they took over.

p.s. A Vietnamese colleague told me the commies were very dogmatic when they first took over. Then after a few years they slacked off and the government became just as corrupt as Thailand's. :dunno:

CB you contradict yourself, first you say they do it for us then you say they do it because they love a holiday of anykind.

I think you are right with the second as I see the decorations up in non farang areas.

And they have no idea what it's about, but then is it a really about religion anymore?

I have a friend in a Thai company who is Malay. The thais are all busy putting up the decorations and he is sitting there thinking they have no idea.

The Thais then turn to him and say

"Your god very funny looking very fat, very hot clothing"

He says , "1 - I am Muslim and he's not my god and 2 - it's a christian holiday and he isn;t their god either!"

That totally confused them. Wanted to know why the christians worshipped him if he wasn;t a god!

Mate did a hard job trying to explain christmas seen through the eyes of a malaya brought up in British Malaysia

DOG

[color:red]"LA police arrest two in gang-crossfire shooting that wounded girl"[/color]

Two men were arrested Friday in connection with the shooting of a young girl from Thailand who was struck by a stray bullet while standing in her kitchen with her mother.

Cesar Zamora, 24, and Steven Andrew Castanon, 20, were arrested for investigation of attempted murder, police said in a statement.

The stray bullet struck 9-year-old Charupa Wongwistiri in the head. Her mother rushed her to the hospital, where she remained in critical condition late Friday, police said.

Zamora, who was sought as a person of interest, walked into a police station with his attorney and surrendered. Castanon, who had been questioned by police following the Wednesday shooting, was arrested during a traffic stop.

The name of Zamora's lawyer was not released, and it was not known whether Castanon had also retained an attorney.

Detectives said they were trying to identify a third man who opened fire at Zamora and Castanon, who were standing across the street from Wongwistiri's home. Police said the men returned gunfire, and one of the bullets from the exchange hit the girl. Police have said the shooting was gang-related.

Zamora and Castanon were being held on $50,000 bail each. Detectives planned to present the case to prosecutors next week.

Article found HERE.

Really can't blame any ethnic group for what took place. More a reflection of our american culture, socio-econ status, educational system, and times/era whether minority or in the case of Los Angeles majority....

CB

Sorry CB, but I find the above complete bullshit...regurgataton of the 60's "victim of society" crap. It IS a reflection of a subculture...in this case, that happens to be the hispanic subculture brought by relatively recent illegal immigration. The U.S. has allowed undeterred immigration represented by the poorest, least educated a country has to offer; the hispanic culture puts little emphasis on education, has a history of uncivilized practices...transplant it into a culture that is almost completely opposite...this is what you get. I'd personally like to see a $500 bounty put on ALL gang members. "Load and lock", guys.

Fuck 'em all.

HH

Archived