Rocky Balboa

Guest baldrick

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<< like Ali said no vietcong called me a jigger >>

They would have if he'd gone there! I heard Vietnamese use the "N word". Try telling me Asians aren't racists ...

Also, Ali proved his CO claims were nonsense when the Soviets invaded Afganistan. Then he was all up tight, saying he'd like to go fight for his "Muslim brothers". Seems Ali just wanted to pick his wars, which seems fair enough. (If I could have, I have volunteered for the Spanish-American War, which only lasted 3 or 4 months. But unfortunately it was long over. :( )

p.s. I think Tom Cruise is the king of the wankers in Hollywood, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy watching "Top Gun". Even John Wayne "babied out" of WWII. That's the Hollywood way. Most of the stars are uneducated pratts, but that doesn't stop them from trying to preach politics to the rest of us.

Yes, Tom Cruise is on my list as well...could not enjoy Top gun as he was just all wrong for it, and over acted it...fuck him too...did think he was perfect for Color of Money though, as he played a jerk. Ireally cannot watch too many movies with him in them.

John Wayne...never liked him either. He was another wanker hypocrtite who made tons of cash promoting the American cause, and playing a soldier, but for some odd reason never was in the military (bad knee or ear or something, "supposedly") Found his movies to be over the top with all the crap...

LP...

O.k. you want to talk Rocky? O.k. fine...It had it's moments, but for the most part, it blew infected dog dick on a hot July day! Predicabloe, sad misunderstood loser who fell through the cracks, meets girl, trys his best, fails, but still comes out o.k. and embraces the sweet people dear to him along the way...namly Bergess Meradeth's character, who in my opinion was really the star of that movie...Stallone did an ok job of getting the Rocky character down (they are a dime a dozen in Philly) but over all, it was just "another typically predicable movie..." The rest of his movies suck, bordering on offenseive. Oh, and fuck him again. :)

Guest lazyphil

well to me and my generation living in little villages and towns of blighty rocky movies were school boy fantasy who didn't know about a long line of philly losers or that he was a draft dodger.....didn't concern us and when 6 of us go to see it soon we still wont give a flying fuck about boring trivia about this or that.....everything on np gets politised, its just a movie damnit!

Normally, I might agree, but when he moved into the Rambo movies, he crossed a line in my book...and that made him difficult to watch/accept in any role...As for the Philly losers, as I said, he did a good job getting that part down, and Bergess Meredtih made the movie. But the script was just to damned predicable in all the Rocky movies, and no doubt will be in this one as well...

Guest lazyphil

micky was a great charachter, anyway, its a nostalgic thing for my mates and me, cant wait to go watch the movie, we'll be cheering rocky on!! :crazy:

John Wayne was over draft age in WWII, but that didn't stop others from volunteering -- e.g. Clark Gable, Gene Autry. Wayne did try to get into Annapolis after high school, but couldn't land an appointment. That was the only time he tried to join the military.

But he won the war many times after that did'nt he :)

I loved Mickey's character. OH, I know you're familiar witih Philly. I am from there and the characters were spot on. Rocky was a classic 'dees and dems' type of guy. "Dees guys", "Dem guys". Its a very working class, union town and it comes out in the movie. Boxing is big there as well.

When Mickey goes to his apartment to ask to be his manager was a great scene. You felt for both which is hard to do because Mickey was being such a dick to him calling him a bum but you felt for him and you also felt Rocky should give him a chance as well.

You could see the Ali bravado in Apollo Creed, which had to be the model for that character.

I'm sorry but a bit off on a tangent. I've read somewhere that if you want to study socio-ecoomic groups of America and who is the low man on the totem poll as far as society goes, boxing is a good barometer more or less. The great boxers in the 1800s and early 1900s were Irish. You all know of them Dempsey, Sulllivan and a plethora of great heavyweights. In fact, some non Irish boxers changed their names to Irish names to get fights and scare their opponents. As the Irish moved up in society, the turn of the century saw a large influx of Italians and in the 1920s to 1940s Itallian boxers replaced the Irish (Rocky Marciano, Rocky Graziano, Jake 'Raging Bull' LaMotta, etc.), then in the 50s, 60s, 70s black boxers dominated, although it could be argued blacks were always on the lowest wrung of society throughout history, in the '70s, 80s and going forward, latino boxers dominated the lower and middle weights, with coincited with the large influx of latinoes into America.

Archived