Rocky Balboa

Guest baldrick

Guest lazyphil

Hey I've done the Philly museum rocky run thing....next time you're in cambridge (sooner than later ;) ) i will time you around the great court of trinity college chariots of fire style, although the scene was actually filmed at Eton.......

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went up the Art Museum steps (where Rocky ran up) as a kid on a school field trip. The italian american area of Philadelphia is 'sowfilly' (how they say it) and it would have been a long distance from there to the museum steps. But its a movie and they did it for dramatic effect.

When I come to Cambridge just point me in the direction of some of those cute uni girls there. I'll see if a few of those Literature majors can help me with my 'Longfellow' and take a look at my 'Charles Dickens'. :smirk:

CS,

If you recall the famous running scene in Rocky I, it began at his home in Kennsington, more less a German/White trash part of town, then ran all along through the Italian market on 9th street, and various other areas before he made the stairs...if you added it up, it is a hell of a run! I actually sort of liked that scene, and the scene you mentioned earlier, where Micky went to talk about being his manager...2 down and out losers with a chance for glory...it was good.

If you guys like Boxing movies with a lot of human drama and triumph of the spirit, check out "Cinderella Man" which is a true story, though they didn't portray Max Bear in a good light...it is an excellent movie, with a lot of treally good sub messages in it.

Max Baer's son played Jethro Baeudene in the B.H. Buddy Ebsen played his uncle Jed Clampett in B.H. When "Cinderella Man" came out, Jethro hit the talk show circuit, saying many of the facts attributed to Max Baer in the movie, like his taunting during the finght, were "artistic licence" taken by the makers of the movie.

Saw the movie last night. It was a good movie. I enjoyed it. It kind of dawned on me that I first saw the first Rocky as a very little boy and it was inspirational and like Rocky the future was bright, etc. and now I'm watching the last one and although not as old as the character, I'm definitely at the point where I look back on my life similarily to Rocky did in the movie.

Its a good movie. I would recommend seeing it. More 'emotional' than the sequels to the original. Rocky has a restaurant and he spends his time telling 'war' stories to his customers and I've been to places like that. Where a famous person owns it and they sit around and re-tell old stories. I recall at school hearing old football and track stories from assistant coaches of when they were at Auburn, Georgia, etc. and played in the sugar bowl, or beat Notre Dame or some such thing.

Archived