Rocky Balboa

Guest baldrick

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have explained my hatred for Stallone before, but allow me to rant again...this panzy fuck ran off to sweden when he got his draft notice, scammed out of the service as physically unfit, then when that failed, he pulled the C.O. crap...then, years later, when it was fashionable, he returned home to make movies playing a poor oppressed vietnam war vet...you know, the kind he shit on before. He then went on to try and play the right wing conservative card, and champion the American cause, and that of Vietnam vets...so again, I say fuck him, he deserves no success at all, and I refuse to pay money tio see his crap movies...again, FUCK HIM!

Guest lazyphil

look forward to your reveiw steve.

old hippie, you being a combat vet i can imagine sly is irksome but he was very young then and perhaps regrets past judgement calls.....give him a fucking break dude!

I have no knowledge of Stallone's draft avoidance but he just turned 60 years old. That means he was 20 years old in 1966. So, if he did avoid the draft by going to Sweden, he would have done it in the mid-sixties, when opposition to the war was not as wide spread as in the late sixties and early seventies. That would make his motavation for leaving the U.S. for Sweden as a C.O. more than a little suspect. He went to collage but may not have had the resourses or inclination to go to graduate school to postpone going into the services. I don't think that he should be lauded for leaving the country but but when President Carter gave amenisty to people that fled to Canada rather than serve, that should have ended that chapter for those that took that route by leaving for any other country, including Sweden. But I do see the irony in Stallone becoming the centerpiece for the forgotten Vietnam ex-soldier. I haven't seen his films for the last 20 years because he has allowed (at his public's insistance) himself to become a caractiture of his original role of Rocky and Rambo. And he isn't a good enough actor to pull it off. In the end, I think that his stay in Sweden eventually led to Bridget Neilsson, and we all know how that ended!

Guest lazyphil

with the greatest respect OH, can we have a chat about Rocky without it turning into a repetative (not just u!) diatribe against america which rocky is not about.....its a fantasy movie, lets either ignore the thread or embrace it....personally i'd do a runner to avoid being cannon foder for a pointless war like vietnam.....like Ali said no vietcong called me a jigger :crazy:

Anyway, Blunt force trauma :cool:

I'll admit there are one or two artists who I dislike personally for their politics and its hard for me to watch them because its in the back of my mind.

Sly Stallone isn't one of them. I didn't know his history till now and I've enjoyed his movies. That said, this seems like its closest to the origninal Rocky in terms of the 'story'. The great thing about the original was that Rocky didn't win. In the real world he wouldn't have won. He was Buster Douglas against Tyson. 9 times out of 10 Buster would not have won that fight. Rocky 'fought the good fight' as the good book says and that's why it was so compelling. He shouldn't have lasted even a couple rounds.

This last one is back to basics I hear in terms of the 'story'. A human story while the sequels prior were for box office domination instead of telling a story. Its good see that the book end movies to the series were more story driven than box office receipts driven.

Archived