Riddled with viruses

Fidel

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, you can format the single partition without having to format the whole hard-drive.

side note: Many viruses are spread not by running and .exe file but just from visiting an infected website. Make sure you run Spybot "immunize", load your anti-virus/spyware programs before you start surfing the net after your fresh OS install. Or use Firefox as your internet explorer.

Hi!

I have had similar problems with my old Compaq. Remember that HP bought Compaq and inherited much of their technology, especially for laptops as i don't think that HP made laptops. My CD tray stopped ejecting a couple of years ago and everybody I asked said that it was a hardware problem. I now use a paperclip to open the tray and it works fine.

My best advice is that you in the future avoid HP laptops like the plague.

Thanks wonderlust. My disk is partitioned with programs installed on the C partition and data on the E partition (I think). If I reinstall Windows, am I right in guessing that the partition with the data will be fine?

If you have viruses residing on the data partition this won't be of much use.

Or rather, can I reformat a single partition or muct I reformat the entire disk?

Any format program can manage this as it is a partition that is formated by definition. Personally I use Partition Magic.

regards

ALHOLK

Hi!

In future keep windows updates up to date

This totally trashed my computer when I tried to upgrade my old WindosXP with SP2. This has also happened to others using Compaq's version of Windoze. Mind you it also trashed the system restore function so all I could do was reformat the entire disk and lose everything on it. Since then I will not install any upgrades from Microshaft.

regards

ALHOLK

The windows crashed on a compaq laptop some years ago, maybe 1 year old at that time, it wasn't possible to reinstall windows from the CD-ROM, compaq said the didn't have any copies of old (!) OS - "you must use the CD-ROM and it's not our problem that it doesn't work" - MS no responsibility for compaq version of windows. Finally I installed a normal Windows (98 I think) which made the laptop work to 95 %. That was the last compaq ever for me.

Hi. Ok, I scanned the little f**ker with Adaware SE, Spybot, AVG, Hijack This and ASO. SO far so good, we seem to be back up and running. However, I'm still nervous about using it on-line as I'm not sure how secure it is.

While I was having this problem the "administrator" disabled my task manager so I couldn't stop any suspect services and my Windows Firewall was turned off.

The above issues have been fixed now but while browsing through folders I found the folder C:Windows\webem\logs which looked suspicious.. i.e. i had lots of text files with logs of different actions on my laptop since the OS was installed. Is this normal?

Archived