Gang crackdown in LA???

chuckwoww

[color:red]"So you think it should be OK for people with gun permits to take their weapons on planes?"[/color]

Most people think everybody is unarmed except for the air marshal(s), but active USA police officers can carry their weapon on a plane in the USA.

I think it would be funny if a person tried to hijack a plane and the plane was carrying 50 police officers who were going to a convention.

Air marshals and police officers are trained to deal with those situations. Safely I'm sure. I thought you were suggesting that ordinary citizens should be armed at all times.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, same old fallacy: guns lower the crime rate. If that is the case, then why is it that Canada and Australia, with a nearly exact mix of people and culture, have much lower crime rates?

Let's pick a simple stat, murders with firearms:

United States: 0.0279271 per 1,000 people

Canada: 0.00502972 per 1,000 people (or 5.6x less than US)

Australia: 0.00293678 per 1,000 people (or nearly 10x less than the US).

The numbers do not lie. The NRA does.

The excessive population of handguns coupled with insecure people looking for "respect" is another reason I choose not to live in the US...

Regards,

SD

PS - Yes, I know how to use firearms and have owned/used them in the past.

Sd

do you really think out populations are the same mix ?

Do they have LA or Detroit ghettos in Canada ?

or in OZ ?

I think that with all the guns already in the USA , there is no way now to get them out of peoples hands ,

the bad guys have them , they break into a house and there is a good chance they will find another gun :(

Gun registration would be a start , but it will take 10-20 years to make it work ,

I hate to admit it but to me its a lost cause :(

OC

What does Canada have? 1/10th the people, in a country larger than the USA? Not so much crowding, and all the crap that brings, different culture and value system, and yeah, tougher gun laws, but frankly, you will not stop the scum bags here from getting them...we can get coke and what not into the country, so gun smuggling would not be any problem...does Canada have the drug/gang crap we have? Not sure...

Agree, the NRA does talk shit, still, I have no worry with law abiding citezens having guns. The problem is, the NRA just wants to abolish all controls, which is also rediculis...

Canada has a lower population for the same reason Australia does, the amount of land that will support more than a couple of people to the square mile is a lot lower.

Good point about guns being to protect people from bad Government, but personally I'd not like to take on the US military with the contents of a private gun cabinet. The problem is the US is going the same way as the USSR, becoming an ogilarchy, government by a few for the benefit of a few. Communism and capitalism become meaningless terms in such a society.

BKKtraveller, you are perfectly right in theory but look at all the experience in the military that Lee Harvey Oswald had, a few nut cases can go through any training course and still come out nutcases.

Do they have LA or Detroit ghettos in Canada ?

or in OZ ?OC

I wouldn't call them complete ghettos but pockets saturated with one particular ethnic group yes. The number of shootings associated with this particular area has increased dramatically over the years. But get this. Due to the increase of crime and the lack of police resources, private security companies became a booming business. So what did these guys (organised crims) do, went into the security business giving them the opportunity to purchase 10-15 handguns at a time. Unfortunately all these new companies coincidently were being broken into week after week with all the handguns being stolen. Took the fucking government and police ages to work out what was going on. So indirectly the government and police were flooding the streets with handguns.

Guest lazyphil

looking at those stats SD shows me LOS has a higher firearm murder rate (number 3 in world :shocked: ) than the US yet u say you choose not to live in america because of guns/respect issues.....i notice the uk is the lowest, i bet our murder rate is the highest in the world with the use of cricket bats though!

<< Also su[pposedly was a lousy shot had "maggot draws" in the Marines ... barely qualified. >>

Wikipedia:

"Despite speculation that Oswald was a below average marksman, Oswald earned the Sharpshooter weapons qualification badge with a score of 212 out of 250 targets, average or slightly above average for a Marine, and far above average judged by civilian standards."

Archived