Cost of building a house in Isaan

buffalo_bill

hmh... lucrative investment in Isarn? maybe we should call former Minister Mr. Newin :rotfl:

Ever seen his house in Buriram? Just outside of town, massive. However, probably was able to get it built for about 600,000 as well -- unless of course he had some baht that needed washing, in which case it was probably billions on paper...

YimSiam

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always get a laugh at some of the farangs who build western/euro style houses in Thailand. Besides the fact they look ugly, they do not take into account many practicalites somewhat unique to Thailand. Thai style has many suttle advantages associated with them that western ones don't.

As mentioned, the reasons for stilts, open air and you gotta build it facing the proper way to let breezes through.

I'm no expert but I know there are LOT's of little things that make Thai style superior......in Thailand.

That looks like a nice comfortable place you got there ND.

ND,

Love the pictures of the house. Please upload more if you have them. I can assure you BuBi is not the only one interested in them.

Just like you, my wife and me prefer stilts as well. We will start building our own place in the next couple of years. We really would love a southern thai traditional house like this:

thaihouses57.jpg

I took it from a site that has some great examples of thai architecture: http://www.orientalarchitecture.com/

Too bad this site is about all we found on the net. If anybody knows other sites about that architecture, please let me know.

Right now We are quarreling about the lay out, though. We're both stubborn, although I will let her decide in the end. :D

Cheers!

Archived