Cost of building a house in Isaan

buffalo_bill

Gentlemen, :thumbup:

I offered lovely Nok to put some substance into our relationship and what for example about building a house . Nok says it is up to me .

I inspected the site already in October but at that time my due diligence was still in process and one must be careful with the Asian ladies , some of them are not worth 1 Satang . What I did notice at that time was a half ready property with roof and no walls .

I ask Nok what that was and she says it is her house but since she cannot go customer any more who the heck is going to pay the builder . Makes sense I think .

The principal coordinates are as follows :

The whole thing is about 12 meters long and 7 meters wide . Stands on concrete piles , concrete platform , 2 bedrooms , bathrom + separate hongnam , large living room , plus outer terrace . Roof I remember is steel construction with steel sheets on top . Walls as far as available are brick , well made . Generally no cheap stuff , impression good .

I tried to find out from Nok how much all that would cost once it is ready and she didn't know in October . Now the question again and Nok started to write it down after following system : Since figures bigger than 500 ( pay bah ) are a mystery to her , she starts to write zero's from the right , working herself leftbound by writing more zero's till she thinks it is enough and makes a 6 . Sixty million Thai Baht , equivalent to 1,7 million Yankee dollah . I have this document still with me , it is on the backside of a Westin Grande Sukhumvit Bar checkbin.

It took me roundabout 20 minutes rolling on the floor with laughter til final recovery came and Nok was upset . I had to apology and later the same evening we arrived at 600.000 Baht for the lot including woodwork, sanitary equipment but no furniture . ready to move in so to say .

Question for the bretheren : does that figure somewhat make sense or am I wasting all my money in a major scam ? Over to you .

BuBi

PS : Please if possible refrain from elaborating on silly falangs building houses for ex hookers , I know all that . She is different :alert: .

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BB,

Sounds almost identical to my situation. When I arrived on the scene the house was as you describe post and a roof. I would say that 600 K is a fairly good estimate but you have have to be prepared to oversee some if not all of the construction. 5 years on and it is still a work in progress. Building materials have not really gone up that much and labor cost upcountry shouldn't be that bad. I was lucky in that all of my wife's sisters husbands and family are very good builders working all over Thailand. 600 K is roughly about what I have invested in our house upcountry. Just remember that all of the family will move in and it will become the community center. Make sure that Ma or Pa or whoever actually owns the land will transfer it to Ms. Nok before you pay up. At the time we had just had a baby and I figured it was some sort of insurance that in whatever happened they would have a nice place to live compared to the old house which I affectionately refer to as the " Chicken Coop".I was just up there for New Year and built a concrete double sink and conuter top all tiled for about 2500 Baht. Bro -in -laws did the work for beer and cigs and we had some blocks left over from building the fence around the house a few months ago. we also had some misc. tiles which the wife worked out into a nice pattern.

Please feel free to PM me if you have any ?.

LL

LL

BB,

Sounds about right. Since some of the work is already done (pilings, floor, roof) I'dfigure on another 600,000 to 800,000 baht to finish it properly. Now then, once it is finished, figure on about another 500,000 to furnish it and another 1 million baht for the new Chevy pick up truck and new Honda motocyke and you'll be sitting pretty with a place you don't own and never will be able to. :)

Only spend what you can afford to lose and walk away from. As it is a gift.

Cent

SG told me her house was somewhere between 6-800,000Bht to build. So the price quoted to you may be about right...this included tearing down the old house, and starting from scratch, they already owned the land...of course when it was done, they needed a new truck to park in front... :)

" Only spend what you can afford to lose and walk away from. As it is a gift. "

Hits the nail on the top Khun Cent , major kind of entertainment alltogether . Nothing on earth would ever make me live in the Khorat forest , not even for a day .I just want to improve the life of a little family where I happen to like madame too mut ( for the time beeing ) . There are more expenses , big alltime issue " How to get her out of the bar " . I will publish this part of it at a later date once I have the final bill .

Good to know that 600.000 is somewhat in order , thanks for your input(s) .

BuBi

15 Rai ( ok for cow-business )

Rural village ; well not really . 8 PM place closes down allover , darkness and you hear some dogs barking.

Water no idea , I note an assembly of huge claypots where thy store the rainwater and a private lake with lots of turtles .

Nearest town Khorat, about 30 minutes . I have no clue where the place really is .

600.000 Baht is house total from scratch , 300.000 up to BuBi .

Don't be sad .

Archived