Cost of building a house in Isaan

buffalo_bill

maybe i'm just a cheap charlie but that sounds like a rediculous idea to me. why would you pay for somebody's house if you're not going to use it?

asialover,

Ask BB. He's the one considering doing this. I use the house I built every week I am there. But, if my wife decides we are history, well, it is her house on her land. Like I said, only spend what you can afford to walk away from. It is a gift to her really, as we farang cannot own land legally. Oh, you can do the thing where you are leasing the land for a long term, but fuck it. Anyone crazy enough to fight a Thai family over a house in the LOS when the wife wants you out is living dangerously. Walk away and stay away. So, don't put your life savings into the house, etc., as you just may lose it all, because one never can foretell the future, right? Protect thy self, in love and out of love, as love makes a man stooooooooooopid. Figure it in the LOS as a business deal, where you lose your investment if the business (marriage/love) goes tits up.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Only spend what you can afford to lose and walk away from. As it is a gift.

I agree with the first part of the statement but not the later, put in what you can afford to lose then make it work for you. When the wife and I bought the apartment in BKK, we both realised it was dead money as such for a return on the actual property.

The upside is, over the years banks have been willing to offer a loan with the apartment as collateral which we have invested into new developments, 2-3 of them and initial investment is returned.

My way of thinking is, money here is dead anyway but may as well take a gamble ... what is there to lose?

Sounds like you've already got plenty of good advice BB. I'll only add that my house in Chiang Rai was about 800K from scratch. Like Dog I also bought an existing house for the timber.

There were some topics on house building last year, one by myself and another by the now missing (or maybe name changed) whosyourdaddy.

In a lighter vein you may like to read my article "House Story" on ThailandStories.com.

15 Rai ( ok for cow-business )

Rural village ; well not really . 8 PM place closes down allover , darkness and you hear some dogs barking.

Water no idea , I note an assembly of huge claypots where thy store the rainwater and a private lake with lots of turtles .

Nearest town Khorat, about 30 minutes . I have no clue where the place really is .

600.000 Baht is house total from scratch , 300.000 up to BuBi .

Don't be sad .

Don't forget the other add ons, Like the party once it's built. 60K or so for the village! As she has a pond, consider a fish farm, and or Frog/turtle farm. Also, pigs cheaper then cows, require less room as well...I forget how many cows per rai...Chicken and ducks are also good as you can sell the eggs and the chickens...

You mentioned the tough part was getting her out of the bar...she won't do it unless she is rweady/wants to. But setting the family up to be financially independent/viable may help make that decision easier, so consider all options.

15 Rai ( ok for cow-business )

Rural village ; well not really . 8 PM place closes down allover , darkness and you hear some dogs barking.

Water no idea , I note an assembly of huge claypots where thy store the rainwater and a private lake with lots of turtles .

Nearest town Khorat, about 30 minutes . I have no clue where the place really is .

600.000 Baht is house total from scratch , 300.000 up to BuBi .

Don't be sad .

Bill,

This sounds more like it. 600K for the whole house sounds good to me. In other words, if some parts are completed already, 300k sounds about right to finish the house.

Interior shouldn't be too expensive, since you're not planning to live there so Western amenities will probably not get high priority.

IMHO for another 500K you can finish the house and actually furnish it very well. May be worth while looking into a well for the house and extend the turtle lake, should/could all be covered by the 500K.

How is your apartment investment dead money? Surely it has some sort of resale value even if it does not appreciate?

As mentioned in another thread about Second hand homes, Thai's on a whole are not that willing to purchase a previously lived in house or apartment.

If we ever wished to sell this place we would be hard pushed to find a buyer, we would probably be better of renting it out when we decide to move out of the CBD.

So rather than let the investment stagnate, as I mentioned in my previous posting, utilise the collateral to invest into future developments, in the mid term we have recouped the money we paid for this place.

I wish I could claim credit for doing this, but it was the wife who talked me into it, after all us farangs don't get offered early investment deals.

Archived