Cost of building a house in Isaan

buffalo_bill

<<60K or so for the village! >>

OH you really are gulable!

My wedding, which I didn;t know had happened cost me 5000 baht in total,

A few years later I had a huge party, Movie show, food, 2 x karoke, etc for the house

20 000 baht

DOG

Honey,

I was going buy what my friend spent for her wedding, and what SSG suposedly spent for her party (I declined the invite). They hired a Morlam group and had all sorts of shit...the price could have been exagerated a bit...but who knows...and why are you so cranky lately? Hormone therapy bothering you? Me also, I have the surgery in 3 weeks, will send pictures, keep this in PTs for now...ohhhhh

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PS : Please if possible refrain from elaborating on silly falangs building houses for ex hookers , I know all that . She is different

Even though I serously doubt that any are different, I will refrain and give you a serious answer. The amount sounds about right, but be careful with construction here.

My experience here is that even in upscale condos in Bangkok (Bht 20+ million) everything will look great on the outside, but the workmanship is often pretty poor and the materials you don't see (the stuff on the inside) are often second rate. Consumer protection here is a joke and contractors everywhere are notorious (no offense to contractors here) but they are particularly bad here. Thais get ripped off all of the time, but Farangs are even bigger targets.

My suggestion: invest about three times as much time as you in the West in checking on your builder. Look at other places he built. Assume you will pay a bit more than Thais, but if you can get a decent contractor, it is worth it. Hell, if you are going to build a house for a BG, might as well spend 700,000 Baht instead of 600,000 Baht for a decent contractor.

The only experience I have had with upcountry construction was sister-in-laws house about 5 years ago. Something like 5 meters across, maybe 20 deep. Concrete slab and columns with concrete block wall, wood rafters (made onsite) with composite roof tiles. Whole thing was about 120K. Maybe was cheaper as most labor was provided by family.

Here is a picture showing part of the house.

TH

You should be able to find a book that tells how much it cost to do (build, etc.) each item. For example, to pour footers, is should cost so much for each cubic yard of cement. Hardest part is finding such book. You could be standing right in front of it and not recognize it.

Also for land, you should be able to see what other land was purchased for nd how much the land really is worth.

Another route you might want to take is go look at what building materials cost at some of the Thai wholesale places.

I will toss my vote in for Fish/Prawn ponds...also turtles and frogs (but Frogs do make noise!). Usually a self dealing venture, as in you drop food in the water, and they sort of handle themselves.

JUST MAKE SURE you dig/build it above the run off levels, so farm fertilizer doesn't run off with the rain into the pond and kill the product.

Have a friend in Sakhon Nakorn who's father does very well with this, and claims it is very little work once set up. He does catfish, Tilapia and prawns. He sells to restaurants and middle men.

Of course, it comes down to what BuBi's Gf's family knows best and can handle...and maybe Bubi aspires to be a "Texas style cattleman." :)

Archived