Good for him!!!

cavanami

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always preferred 'Black' to 'African American'. For me the term separates the black diaspora. What about black brits in America, or Africans born in Africa or blacks from Brazil, Venuezula and the caribbean? They aren't 'African-American', and the term black kinda united all blacks, while African American to me separtes the various black peoples into an us and them category. That was not the intent but that is how its occuring. Even though personally, I hate focusing on race, etc. (despite my screen name...lol...long story for another day). I have very dear from friends from a variety of countries, colors and religions and they have the one thing in common that is most important than all the other crap and that is they are good people and good friends.

Over 100 years ago in NYC, the majority of people in jail were of Irish descent. Some of the ver same reasons why blacks are the majority in NYC today.

I don't own a gun but I'm a firm believer in the right to own one. They just need to enforce the laws that are presently on the books. We've had this debate on here before. A prevalence of guns in and of itself does not mean you'll have a violent culture or Switzerland would have one of the highest murder rates in the world. I went to uni in Alabama and just about every 16 y.o. got a .22 rifle on his birthday to go hunting with his dad. It was a rite of passage and there weren't too many muders in thos small, sleepy Alabama towns despite having at least one gun or shot gun or hunting rifle in just about every home.

But as someone said, a lot of things is common sense but its said, common sense is not really too common nowadays.

I've always preferred 'Black' to 'African American'...

All of my (head screwed on right) black friends want to be called black too. I have always used that term, and I refuse to use Irish-American to describe myself. I'm just an American dammit, not that I am less proud of my roots, it is just that they are pretty meaningless in the day-to-day l;ife,, aren't they?

...and the term black kinda united all blacks, while African American to me separtes the various black peoples into an us and them category....

I am just incredulous about the crap now surrounding Obama coming from black leaders. Err, make that African-Americans, cuz they are the types to be arrogant and idiotic enough to *need* to be called that. The latest thing is that they are saying that he cannot be black because he is not descended from slaves. All I can say to these idiots is: What the fuck do you know about slavery? The same as I do. Nothing. What does it have to do with anything in 2007? Nothing. It was a long time ago. Yes it was wrong and bad. But is has been over with for 140+ years. Let it go. Really. Maybe then you will be able to move on to success on your own accord instead of being a professional victim.

I mean, are they serious? Unless you grow up in the inner city and are 'ghetto' you aren't really black? If you don't suffer through poverty and public schools, you can't possibly be black?

Of course, then it couldn't be clearer, despite the color of his skin and his genetic makeup, Obama isn't black. What is he then? An Oreo, a Zebra?

Maybe then I'm black? I'm from Detroit, the 'hood' product of public schools and urban decay. Am I black then...despite my obvious skin color? Maybe I'm at least blacker than Obama, because of course, he isn't really black, he's just pretending. That's stupid innit?

I wake up everyday thankful that I'm not black. No, not for the reasons you think. It's that I don't have to prove my ethnicity everyday, I don't have to trot out my 'racial street cred' for people that think I'm not sufficiently who I am. Those folks are just sad and need to grow up and join the human race.

End of rant.

Cheers,

SD

..and I wake up every day thankful I'm black..lol..really, I love being black. But I am also more of a globalist. I think most of us who have traveled outside the country and have met and befriended various types of people, see ethnicity last. For the most part we tend to group people we meet into cool people I'd like to be friends with and people I wouldn't.

There's a lot of issues that a lot blacks in America deal with based on our history here. Its a lot of unresolved issues based on slavery and Jim Crow. Some legit and some we need to get past and move on.

My biggest beef is the lack of furor over what is happening in the Sudan. Modern day slavery and not much of a peep from so called leaders here. Darfur is a subject I've talked about for a few years with friends.

Anyway, from you are saying Obama doesn't have 'street cred'. I thought he did. Some may say that but from what I perceive from most blacks is that he's liked, accepted and a source of pride. There are always some people on the fringe, in every group, that will look at things more radically. So, not being descended from slaves removes your street cred? Wow. lol...well, I've got nothing to worry about. Scottish plantation owners on my mom's side if the family story is true, Welsh on dad's side, but if you saw me you wouldn't see it at all. :grin:

The interesting thing about all us americans with a hyphen Italian-American, Irish-American, etc. is that whenever I've met fellow Americans in Asia or anywhere, its never brought up. We're all Americans to each other with no hyphens when I've met Americans abroad. The only thing we ask is where in the states we're from and we connect more if we're from the same area.

Archived