How dumb are Thais?

thalenoi

I do a lot of people watching and often see Thais going about tasks in what can only be described as a ridiculous manner.

The person who cleans the office I 'used' to work at would arrive and start cleaning every morning at precisely 11am. At this time everyone is seated at their desks and we would have to move and shift around while she dusted and again as she sweeped and again when she mopped. Then the floor would be wet and you would leave footprints all over the freshly mopped white marble floor. This would frustrate her to no end and she would chase people around mopping thier trail up. Many times she would see her own trail of footprints and not realize they were hers, shake her head in disbelief and mop them up only to turn around and see a fresh set of prints. I swear she wasn't clowning. Now wouldn't you think the office would be easiest and best to clean at night?

I realize that we are all generalizing but sometimes I do wonder. Not if they are dumb, I don't agree that they are dumb, but if they have the same thought process as we do. What is going on in their heads when these things occurr?

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>How many Thais have been awarded recognition in the life sciences, math, physics, chemistry, techonolgy, etc.?

Well, the king for one. As I recall he recently won an international award for an invention related to conservation (full details escape me at the moment). There are a few other internationally recognized Thai scientists. I can give you one example though, the first dengue vaccine in large scale trials comes from Thailand, and is called the "Mahidol" vaccine (give you a clue where it was developed).

>Intellect, curiosity, initiative, self-starting, precision and accuracy, learning for learning only purposes are not part of the thai culture....

That is changing. Thialand is investiging quite heavily in training people in the sciences/technology. This includes both investment here, as well as by sending the top youths overseas to do PhD's. I was speaking to one young Thai PhD student who was doing his studies in Yale, and thinking of going to Cornell (sp?) for his post doc.

Things *are* changing. I hope they are able to hold the course. As surprising as it seems, there are *some* senior thais who see a solid technology infrastructure as the way to the future...

-j-

I don't think that thais in general are more dumb than belgians, americans or swedes coming from the same social background. Normal BGs coming from rural Isaan areas must be compared with similar groups in other countris.

Compare it with this

ghraib-pile2-larger.jpg

Thai's (at least a few) seem to do very well in international computer and technology competetions in the last few years.

One of the Thai Graduate classes even won the Moot Award a few years ago.

Maybe a minority, but some are pretty sharp. But I must agree that the AVERAGE university student has the skills of an advanced high school graduate from a decent US school.

Last year I met a thai young man who just completed his medical degree in my (university) town, not sure if it was a "doctor's degree" or a MD, he stayed here 5 years and had borrowed 5 million bahts from the thai goverment to finance his living costs and course literature - education is free however in Sweden.

>How many Thais have been awarded recognition in the life sciences, math, physics, chemistry, techonolgy, etc.?

Well, the king for one. As I recall he recently won an international award for an invention related to conservation (full details escape me at the moment). There are a few other internationally recognized Thai scientists. I can give you one example though, the first dengue vaccine in large scale trials comes from Thailand, and is called the "Mahidol" vaccine (give you a clue where it was developed).

>Intellect, curiosity, initiative, self-starting, precision and accuracy, learning for learning only purposes are not part of the thai culture....

That is changing. Thialand is investiging quite heavily in training people in the sciences/technology. This includes both investment here, as well as by sending the top youths overseas to do PhD's. I was speaking to one young Thai PhD student who was doing his studies in Yale, and thinking of going to Cornell (sp?) for his post doc.

Things *are* changing. I hope they are able to hold the course. As surprising as it seems, there are *some* senior thais who see a solid technology infrastructure as the way to the future...

-j-

Wasn't Pira Sudham Nominated for a Noble Prize?

Hum let me think.

The last landlord we contacted (not me but my thai lawyer) was asking 140K bht/month for a shophouse.

When my lawyer asked him why the exact same shophouse he was renting next door was priced at 50K

the landlord answered nothing.

My lawyer then asked him why he does not lower the rent to a more reasonnable amount (as the shophouse has been without tenant for now one year) -> the landlord had no answer.

-> This is what I call sheer stupidity

Archived