How dumb are Thais?

thalenoi

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Same could be said a few years back in Viet Nam when the folks from the north pushed their way to the south...many had never been in an elevator!

Way back when...I was working at Allis-Chalmers, where they made diesel engines...a tour a farmers came thru and they all pissed in the large, round wash bowl where we would wash our hands...they just didn't know...not stupid by any means, they just didn't know.

I would believe words like dumb and stupid are actually defined by IQ tests and other aptitude tests..

So it is pretty easy and black and white when comparing IQ scores of ethnic groups or natioanlities though one seems to always play the culturally-biased card if one is on the low end...

What one seems to be talking about in this thread and giving examples is ignorance and the level of ignorance one finds in specific cultures, nationalities, societies, or any sub-group for that matter...

Ignorance can be discussed, debated and subjectively measured through many different indicators with outcomes vary immensely based on what indicators are selected and how they are analyzed...

CB

Hmm,

I have held of replying to this thread for so long but now I cannot hold my tongue, or should that be fingers.

Dumb Thai Number One

Today and tomorrow I am carrying out a Factory Acceptance Test (FAT) on a Computerised Control System for an upgrade to Thai Oil Refinery. My Process Engineer is a Thai Grad who did her major in France, yes did her major in Paris in French Language in Chemical Engineering. She is Fluent in English and French, and good at her job.

Dumb Thai Number Two

Last week I was in Singapore doing a site survey with my protege, he majored in Germany, nothing special just install another S-HCF train on the Jarong Refinery for ExxonMobil, Oops the worlds biggest company at the moment, bigger than GE now. Another Tri-Lingual Thai.

Dunb Thai Number Three Four and Five

Number Three is my wife, Thammasat Grad MBA in the States,worked for MCN in Europe before we met, again fluent in English (as many people on this board can testify) and her written Chinese is quite good.

Number Four and Five my Brother and Sister in Laws, also Thammasat Grad but Majored in the UK, I will not mention which Corporations they work for in Thailand now, I am sick of trying to call in favours.

Ones perception of a society is purely based upon the level of people that one associates with, and therefore a reflection upon oneself. If you believe that all Thais are stupid then you must have made the statement whilst looking in the mirror, with an attitude like yours no wonder you cannot meet anybody with an IQ bigger than your shoe size.

I don't blame the builder for taking the piss out of you, your ego is asking for it ... Why did you leave your last home in the south and move to Udon, was it the Thais or Your attitude?

[Removed - KS]

The vast majority of Thais are, by government design, under-educated. This allows the ruling class to continue to employ them at ridiculously low wages, and thus allow the ruling class to keep on ruling.

It is really unfair to label a largely uneducated population as "stupid".

I see we were not sleeping in our Sociology classes! Good for you and I totally agree.

(Just a general reply - not to anyone in particular).

I, too, have been holding off on typing something on this thread.

I feel so priviledged to be able to live here. Sure, it's not always a bed of roses, and sure, sometimes Thais that do things that leave me dumbfounded and drive me crazy, but I would never label a nation's people as "stupid".

Thailand has given me so many experiences and memories and life experience that I could never have received at home in my own country. (And no, I'm not just talking about the P4P scene experiences).

The country could simply shut it's door at any stage and tell us to fuck off. Look how hard it is for someone from Thailand to migrate to where we come from, and then look at how relatively easy it is for us to move here and live out our days in a wonderful existence that makes us (most people) far happier than we could ever be in the west.

The cultural differences are huge between us and Thais. How many things do we do as farangs that drives the Thais crazy? Umpteen, I am sure.

There's probably Thai webboards like this that have posts entitled: "WHAT FARANGS DO THAT DRIVE YOU CRAZY". Many of the things Thais do that we think are stupid are culturally-based, and based on things that are ingrained into their mind-set and way of thinking. No one is "born" with a culture... culture is something that is learned and conditioned. And it is based on many things including educational opportunities (or lack thereof), and the surrounding environment.

If people brand Thais (as a race) as "stupid", then those people should just fuck off and live back in their own country where people aren't "stupid". It's insulting and degrading to come here and willingly take what this country offers us, then label the race as "stupid".

"...If people brand Thais (as a race) as "stupid", then those people should just fuck off and live back in their own country where people aren't "stupid". It's insulting and degrading to come here and willingly take what this country offers us, then label the race as "stupid"..."

People (immigrants and tourists) in the USA do this all the time,. and it pisses me off. Hence, I see no need to do it with people in a country no one forces us to go to in the first place.

[quote name=Bangkoktraveler

She was using a roller so I could not see how she could screw that up. Then I noticed she wasn't using the paint pan but was dipping into the big bucket of paint. I straightened that out. It looked like everything was going alright when she decided to change colors. She dipped the fully loaded roller of yellow paint into the green paint. I told her not to do thst.... you must wash the roller first. So she dipped the roller into the water' date=' wihout wringing out of the roller, and then stuck it once more into the green paint. Then she began painting a blushish, washed down paint onto the house. It looked like shit! I finally was able to teach her how to paint. But she said my method takes longer.[/quote]

Been to a somewhat similar situation.

I was away for a few days on a business trip and the missus wanted to surprise me ... I guess.

So she started painting the walls to the best of her ability and that wasn`t too bad ya know.

Unfortunately, she is only 152 cm tall so she couldn´t apply the paint all the way up to the ceiling...unless she .. well..

"That`s wonderful dear, I can`t believe how well you have done" :crazy:

I could have done the same thing by the way, starting off with the best intentions and then later on realizing that I kinda forgot something...

cheers hn

Archived