What fast food places would make it in BKK ?

OCgringo

It amazes me how many more fast food brands you guys in the US have compared to us in Australia.

We really only have McD's, Pizza Hut, KFC, Burger King, Subway... that's about it...

Gotta go to Cracker Barrel next time in the US - looks good on the website, anyway!!!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think a Del Taco could work in BKK. It's not exactly authentic mexican, but it puts tacohell to shame.

I'm at In n Out at least once a week. I love the place but I don't think it'd fly in Thailand.

Something simiar to what's on offer at the counter in Foodland, but on a larger scale, would be nice for the late night cravings and a decent breakfast.

I've heard there used to be a Denny's in lower sukhumvit, but it didn't work.

Whilst I do enjoy fast food, and do not really like Thai Food - I suspect that the reason why the US (and other??!)fast food chains are not around to the extent that some here would like is that the Thais prefer Thai food. Go figure :smirk:

IMO the Westerner market is just not big enough for many business' to survive in a top notch location given the costs involved.......and I would argue that the attractions of all things Western is not perhaps what it used to be.

However including for taste reason, perhaps their IS an advantage to having food that is often freshly cooked??......which is not something that fast food outlets are renowned for.

I used to like the "French Style" Sandwich and cake restaurant outside Clinton Plaza where you could sit outside on the raised platform and watch the world go by - long since closed and the building demolished.

When I needed a solid injection of western food I used to be an occassional visitor to the TGIF style restaurant on the 2nd floor of Ploenchit shopping mall (if that is the right name? - it's the one with the Mc D on the ground floor between Soi 4 and Soi 0) - now also closed.

And under McD in the same building was a French style restaurant that sold Crépes and Gallettes, that to my (anglo!) pallette tasted pretty good - was not open for long and now also long since closed.

All of them had one thing in common, they were not cheap to eat in for the locals and really were not special, certainly whilst quite eatable for me in both Thailand and the west they would not merit a premium price in the west.

Tony Romas? have eaten their a number of times over the years, IMO WAYYYYYY too pricey for what it is (IMO pretty much a posher looking TGIF!) - but a no brainer eat out of slabs of western food in a conveniant location.

However my best western lunchtime hangover food is a pub whose name I always forget, down soi 4.

Archived