What fast food places would make it in BKK ?

OCgringo

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I go to Taco Bell once in a while. What I notice is not too many Mexicans go there. To me, the food doesn't taste like Mexican food. Now, there is a Mexican restaurant I go to and that mostly Mexicans eat there. And yes, the food does taste like 'Mexican' food.

My wife likes Mexican food. At first she thought Mexicans were Thais. Some of the Mexicans thought she was Mexican. For her, she couldn't understand why there were so many Thai people around. When we sat down to eat the food, she claimed the taco was similar to Moslem food. She loves the Mexican drinks but she doesn't care too much for their spicy. Not same.

Dave,

Yeah, I think a Taco Bell franchise on lower Sukhumvit would do quite well with the farang tourists. Cheap and easy and palatable enough for the money. Not my style of Mex food, but I eat it on occasion. They give you a good amount for the money. I do think it would go over well in that area. Don't know if it would work in strictly Thai areas. I'd think one would do well in Pattaya as well. I had some great authentic Mex while back in the states recently. Yummie! :)

Cent

Taco Bell and the others serve what is actually an American version of Mexican food. It's a far cry from what I've had in Mexico, or what I got as a child along the border 50 years ago. Some things are an outright American invention - e.g. fajitas. Ain't no such thing in Mexico!

p.s. The Mexican food I remember from the 1950s was fantastic -- at places like La Post in Mesilla or almost any decent restaurant in the El Paso or Ciudad de Juarez area. Tortillas 10 cents a dozne at the local tortilla factory! I love real Mexican food. Taco Bell is sort of like KFC is to fried chicken: edible but nothing to brag about.

<< At first she thought Mexicans were Thais. Some of the Mexicans thought she was Mexican. >>

On an Indian reservation, the locals thought my Mrs was one of them.

:dunno:

A Thai friend of mine got transferred to west Texas a couple of years ago. The next time I saw him he said lots of the locals would come up to him speaking Spanish. He got a kick out of that.

The Blue Parrot is OK for Pattaya, but they'd go out of business quickly in a place like Phoenix or San Diego. Still, I go there every so often, whenever I get the craving. Usually I order the No. 1 or No. 5 combination plate with a beer or two, or maybe a margarita.

On a side note, I was in Heaven Above go go one night and one of the dancers recognizes me. She used to be my waitress at the Blue Parrot. I bar fined her, just for the hell of it.

Rex

Archived