going nuts....

buddha

people who are really fucked up dont even ask these questions. Dont even see it as something to document on a web board. why?

because its become so normal to them that it just seems the norm.

:yeahthat:

Get yourself together, get a hobby and make a plan what to do in the future. Sounds like you are just going thru a hard period in your life but you seriously don't have life threating issues like millions of people in this world have.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some variation of this is common with Farangs here. You are presumbably living here for the Sanuk. There is nothing wrong with that, but you need a bit of balance. Otherwise, well, now you are seeing the otherwise... I think ex-pats need a bit of balance in two areas, and they often need to impose a bit of discipline on themselves to get that blance. I am no shrink, but here is my suggestion:

1.) Take care of your body. Join a gym, start trainning for a marathon (once of that was enough for me and my knees) or do something athletic. It's damn hot here, and the temptation is to work, eat and then go out at night and drink. Hence, the Farangs with 40 inch waistlines.

Fitness centers are the latest craze here in Thailand and physical trainners here are affordable by Western prices. Join a gym, hire a physical trainner and schedule your work out at 7 am three times a week. You might be tempted to go out late night before a work out with your physical trainner, but if your trainner pushes the way they are supposed to, you probably won't do that twice. And if you stick with it long enough, you will see a difference in how you look and feel.

2.) Take care of your mind. This is harder in Thailand. There was a book club here for awhile, but I am not sure if they still meet. Join the Siam Society or the Foreign Correspondents Club in Thailand (you don't need to be a journalist). Go to business chamber meetings. They do have interesting speakers sometimes. (Chris Baker speaks at BCCT meetings on occassions; he is not the only good speaker, but I mention him because I know some people here have read his books.)

Read. I am not a tech savie guy, but I discovered that with an iPod you can download some very interesting lectures from universities for free. You mentioned black outs, so go to the UC Berkeley site on iPod store, and download some of the psychology and drugs lectures by, I think this is his name, Dave Presti. You can audit this guy's entire class (and others) for free. I find this stuff fascinating because it is outside my field which means that I am learning something new. Or you can get political information (the CATO site does Podcasts) or whatever.

Writing is good too. Contribute articles to some of the local newspapers if you don't want to write a whole book. Most of the writing here is pretty poor so more contributors should help raise the bar.

Some variation of this is common with Farangs here. You are presumbably living here for the Sanuk. There is nothing wrong with that, but you need a bit of balance. Otherwise, well, now you are seeing the otherwise... I think ex-pats need a bit of balance in two areas, and they often need to impose a bit of discipline on themselves to get that blance. I am no shrink, but here is my suggestion:

1.) Take care of your body. Join a gym, start trainning for a marathon (once of that was enough for me and my knees) or do something athletic. It's damn hot here, and the temptation is to work, eat and then go out at night and drink. Hence, the Farangs with 40 inch waistlines.

Fitness centers are the latest craze here in Thailand and physical trainners here are affordable by Western prices. Join a gym, hire a physical trainner and schedule your work out at 7 am three times a week. You might be tempted to go out late night before a work out with your physical trainner, but if your trainner pushes the way they are supposed to, you probably won't do that twice. And if you stick with it long enough, you will see a difference in how you look and feel.

2.) Take care of your mind. This is harder in Thailand. There was a book club here for awhile, but I am not sure if they still meet. Join the Siam Society or the Foreign Correspondents Club in Thailand (you don't need to be a journalist). Go to business chamber meetings. They do have interesting speakers sometimes. (Chris Baker speaks at BCCT meetings on occassions; he is not the only good speaker, but I mention him because I know some people here have read his books.)

Read. I am not a tech savie guy, but I discovered that with an iPod you can download some very interesting lectures from universities for free. You mentioned black outs, so go to the UC Berkeley site on iPod store, and download some of the psychology and drugs lectures by, I think this is his name, Dave Presti. You can audit this guy's entire class (and others) for free. I find this stuff fascinating because it is outside my field which means that I am learning something new. Or you can get political information (the CATO site does Podcasts) or whatever.

Writing is good too. Contribute articles to some of the local newspapers if you don't want to write a whole book. Most of the writing here is pretty poor so more contributors should help raise the bar.

Or alternatively......just continue getting wasted and fuck the siam society

He already said he takes care of his body. This is yet another thing he seems to share in common with me so I feel qualified in saying he's not serious, he's well capable of taking any action necessary and is only here looking for forms of attention and praise, as if he's some sort of hero.

What he actually needs to do is feel more humble. I suggest he starts helping out charities or really poor or sick people to get some humility. Meet people in real trouble, get to know them and see if he can bear to tell them his stories of woe.

There you go buddha, clean the shit from a few dying Aids patients arses. That'll get you sorted.

:thumbup:

Archived