Wearing Shorts in Bangkok?

Heim_Hung

:smirk:

Hello,

Since the weather is very hot these days, is it okay to wear shorts and slippers in Bangkok? I want to wear Bermuda shorts with slippers during day time. Mainly, I just want to dress casual and cruise around shopping malls and streets.

Thanks

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't forget the Germans!

I used to believe some bullhsit that wearing shorts around Bangkok at night wasn't proper, especially in those 'classy' Soi 33 joints. So, on my first trip I dressed up in decent clothes at night while watching naked chicks dance at go-go bars, even in Patpong, until the penny dropped that the girls don't care as long as you look clean and you spend money.

Now I dress in shorts, tee-shirts and flip-flops to go to those venues, but it's always handy to have a decent set of clothes around for social occasions or certain night clubs.

For tourists, no problem.

Actually, quite convenient - helps the girls to tell who's the tourist. I like to wear shorts and sandals when shuffling around my neighbourhood to buy food, etc, but generally don't go far from home in shorts in Bangkok - just doesn't seem right.

YimSiam

Hum

I wear pants, ties and shirts while working

(can be hell sometimes)

but when I am at home I go buy food etc... in shorts

and.......I am not mistaken for a tourist

ehh, in your own neighbourhood? Probably not and even if you were so what?

I am proud to declare that I wear nothing but long shorts, t-shirt and sandals whenever I am in Thailand, unless I am on some sorts of official business.

There is no way I could be arsed to dress up and sweat like a pig just to bend over backwards to "adjust to the local culture".

Besides there are heaps of thais these days dressing in exactly the same way.

And upcountry? All they wear is the Phakhama.

Archived