Wearing Shorts in Bangkok?

Heim_Hung

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't been on here in a while but now that things have slowed down and I'm back. Things have not changed much. Everyone is still on OH!

At home I wear just as little as I can get by with. But out of the house, I wear slacks. The climate here is much like the climate in Thaisland, very hot and very humid! If I go to the store, I wear slacks. As far as underwear, I'll never tell.

It was always my understanding that wearing shorts in Bangkok was viewed as less acceptable by residents compared to other major cities. Having said that, of course I brought several pairs because of the heat, and the walking one does while travelling. I never wore them at night though. Most days I wore long pants, but that was in the 'winter'. Sandals are OK, and yes, I wear socks, but only extending just above the ankles. Who knew the fashion police would be watching? OK I'm in a confessional mode here. I also have a yellow shirt, (no Royal emblem), a pink shirt, and various silk shirts. Bottom line; I do find myself dressing up more in Bangkok. Thai women certainly seem to be more easily impressed by appearance, or at least they find foreign fashion interesting.

p.s. Capri pants? No No No

p.p.s. My umbrella is black.

It was always my understanding that wearing shorts in Bangkok was viewed as less acceptable by residents compared to other major cities. Having said that, of course I brought several pairs because of the heat, and the walking one does while travelling. I never wore them at night though. Most days I wore long pants, but that was in the 'winter'. Sandals are OK, and yes, I wear socks, but only extending just above the ankles. Who knew the fashion police would be watching? OK I'm in a confessional mode here. I also have a yellow shirt, (no Royal emblem), a pink shirt, and various silk shirts. Bottom line; I do find myself dressing up more in Bangkok. Thai women certainly seem to be more easily impressed by appearance, or at least they find foreign fashion interesting.

p.s. Capri pants? No No No

p.p.s. My umbrella is black.

Making an effort is definitely worth it in my opinion. Good shoes are a must; as are sunglasses (genuine); an expensive genuine leather wallet is also invaluable - as are 9 carat money clips to organise the wad of cash you lug around (and it should be an almost ludicrous wad). I've already made a couple of recommendations for practical clothing - although if you can afford better, my advise would be to go for it.

I'm after pussy, so when I cruise places like Siam Paragon, I'm creating an illusion. Let's be frank - you are not going to be doing this in shorts. It's fairly inexpensive really to get kitted out with some decent threads. It also neatly dovetails into the whole Buddhist concept that the world is indeed an illusion - a fact I mercilessly pray on.

To the OP: I fail to see how wearing thongs, a singlet and shorts will get you anything except perhaps what you deserve.

I like to wear shorts because:

1. I don't care what people on the street think of me, because I AM a tourist.

2. They are lighter to pack and I prefer to travel with only carry-on luggage.

3. And, mainly, my day consists of having breakfast or lunch, usually at the hotel poolside restaurant or some pub (where that dress is appropriate), possibly heading off to Soi 22 or Washington Square, then returning to the hotel to shower before going to certain Cowboy or Soi 33 bars where I'm already known. In other words, bargirls don't give a fuck, nor do my friends, and the only times I'm in classy shopping malls I'm there with a bargirl to buy her shit. :crazy:

If I were an expat businessman, trying to look like one, trying to pick up 'normal girls', or generally trying to make an impression, I'd think differently.

Problem with packing lightly is that you run out of clean clothes. Last time I was in town, I extended my stay, day by day, and ran out of clean shirts. I think Darel from the Dollhouse gave me three of them on different nights (I was changing t-shirts in the bar), but one of his bargirls stole one of the used ones that was hanging out of my back pocket. :confused:

Wear what makes you comfortable. Unless you're inside a temple or attending a formal affair, nobody is going to care if you're wearing shorts. One might think its akin to pointing with their feet by reading some of these replies.

As far as picking up "classy" girls at the mall, I seriously doubt ones choice in legwear would be a determining factor in anything. You'd need to bring a hell of a lot more to the table than some nice pants, a leather wallet, and a pair of genuine sunglasses to score a girl with any real class.

I like to wear shorts because:

1. I don't care what people on the street think of me, because I AM a tourist.

2. They are lighter to pack and I prefer to travel with only carry-on luggage.

3. And, mainly, my day consists of having breakfast or lunch, usually at the hotel poolside restaurant or some pub (where that dress is appropriate), possibly heading off to Soi 22 or Washington Square, then returning to the hotel to shower before going to certain Cowboy or Soi 33 bars where I'm already known. In other words, bargirls don't give a fuck, nor do my friends, and the only times I'm in classy shopping malls I'm there with a bargirl to buy her shit. :crazy:

If I were an expat businessman, trying to look like one, trying to pick up 'normal girls', or generally trying to make an impression, I'd think differently.

Problem with packing lightly is that you run out of clean clothes. Last time I was in town, I extended my stay, day by day, and ran out of clean shirts. I think Darel from the Dollhouse gave me three of them on different nights (I was changing t-shirts in the bar), but one of his bargirls stole one of the used ones that was hanging out of my back pocket. :confused:

I couldn't help but notice you appear to need some storage place in Bkk? Can I suggest you set up a noi mia noi - a very small wife that will take care of laundary - guard your things, and devote herself to you? It's easy to do really. She'll look after that crap if you play it right - and your sacred carry on baggage will be light, light, light!

I don't want to boast, but I've made similar arrangements myself. It's not really in her interest to sell that stuff off, since I pay her a trivial amount to keep it going. Of course she thinks this will go on forever.

Wear what makes you comfortable. Unless you're inside a temple or attending a formal affair, nobody is going to care if you're wearing shorts. One might think its akin to pointing with their feet by reading some of these replies.

As far as picking up "classy" girls at the mall, I seriously doubt ones choice in legwear would be a determining factor in anything. You'd need to bring a hell of a lot more to the table than some nice pants, a leather wallet, and a pair of genuine sunglasses to score a girl with any real class.

Of course I agree with you, and who said I can not bring more to the table? What you fail to realise is that *without* these 'props', you're not even in the game.

I can bring a hell of a lot to the table whether it's true or not. And that is the point I'm trying to get to - it's all an illusion anyway!!!

Besides it works - so your 'academic' opinion is rather inconsequential.

Archived