Wearing Shorts in Bangkok?

Heim_Hung

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NO!

Men in shorts. :nono::shakehead:barf:

Unless you're playing football at the time, it's an indicator that you're gay. :wave:

Bibs,

It does not. OH wears them and he swears he is not gay. You're not serious are you?

I see no problem with wearing a decent pair of shorts in Bangkok and elsewhere. Especially during the hot tropical climate daylight hours. Nothing wrong with a nice pair of sandals either, as long as your feet are well groomed (toenails clipped and feet clean). Flip flops (or thongs as the UK members call these - bathroom slippers for some) just don't cut it in my eyes for wearing around town, these are beach attire, even if many of the poorer Thais wear these constantly. I'd especially not want to wear flip flops on the streets of Bangkok, as they are dangerous, and the crap and dirt of the streets would make them a rather unhygenic footwear I'd think.

As for shorts, we are talking of short pants of quality, not some swimming trunks I would think? Nothing wrong with a pair of Dockers-style shorts, or some chino style shorts, or even the vastly popular 'cargo pants' style shorts as well. And I don't think these are just for the 'tourists' to wear either. It is casual attire, and dressing to 'beat the heat'.

What the fuck? Are you all so insecure that you actually give a shit what the snobs of the Bangkok Thais will think of you that you are not willing to be comfortable in a pair of shorts? While on holiday or just relaxing off work? That to me is silly. I can agree if you are going somewhere for business, maybe even the bank to do some business (in Bangkok that is) you might want to 'dress to impress', or to a nice restaurant, but during the day I see no problems with a decent pair of shorts. Really, some farang here try to out-Thai the Thais. Foolish unwarranted snobbery. And, many Thais now wear shorts in the daytime, yes, even in prim and proper Bangkok, although not the businessman 'elite' who feel they have to impress everyone with their 'wealth' and high station in life (wankers as they are called).

Get a grip fellas, you're not Thai, and never will be. Show the native citizens by your demeanor and polite manners rather than your stylish duds that you have some class. As the saying goes, 'The clothes do not make the man.' Clean and hygenic, decent clean clothing and civilized deportment is all that is needed, unless you are doing business and need to 'dress up' accordingly. Unless of course you are trying to impress the bar girls and the common citizens of the country of what an important and rich fellow you are. The 'bigshot farang' syndrome some succumb to. And if that is so, that is fucking sad, really. :rolleyes:

Cent

p.s. This isn't entirely directed at you Bibs, just the first three lines are, the rest is just directed at the thread topic, really.

Oh, I don't wear shorts in other countries either. I'm consistently non-gay. :D

Also, no underwear. Apart from it being an needless extra item that takes valuable time to put on and take off, I don't want to be seen around mens underwear departments in shops, finding myself surrounded by giant photos of men's crotches.

(That, of course, being gay. :) )

.....I am proud to declare that I wear nothing but long shorts' date=' t-shirt and sandals whenever I am in Thailand,.....[/quote']

I can't stand these long shorts, look rediculous on blokes. :(

Depends what you mean by long Munchy, I like the long shorts that go to just below the knee. I don't like the ones that are really short longs and not long shorts, they look feckin ridiculous.

By the way, I bought two pairs of long shorts, the ones that go down to just below the knee, from Armani last weekend and will be sporting them in BKK in July. They look great :thumbup:

OK, hey Old Hippy, a ruling if you please. Not wearing underwear ... gay? Or not gay?

I can picture Bibs now in the department stores, averting his gaze from the mens undergarment advertisements lest he be thought gay, and hurrying over to the bra sales aisles, looking for the plus size bra advertisements, and mumbling, 'Big titties, big titties, must have some big titties!'

You really liked that fad that was on a while back there where the young hipsters were all walking about sucking on their fruit flavored pacifiers hung on ribbons about their neck didn't you Bibs? :D

Cent

p.s. I'd think Frank Zappa's song 'Titties and Beer' would be a favorite of yours, sort of a theme song. It's on the 'Roxy and Elsewhere' live album if you haven't ever heard it before. :)

Socks with sandals, GAY! No underwear...Not necessarily gay, but headed that way...not gay if avoiding crotch rot (aka jock itch)...Gay if trying to be stylish...NOT GAY if you left it behind while fleeing from a bedroom window to avoid a jealous husband...

.....I am proud to declare that I wear nothing but long shorts' date=' t-shirt and sandals whenever I am in Thailand,.....[/quote']

I can't stand these long shorts, look rediculous on blokes. :(

Depends what you mean by long Munchy, I like the long shorts that go to just below the knee. I don't like the ones that are really short longs and not long shorts, they look feckin ridiculous.

By the way, I bought two pairs of long shorts, the ones that go down to just below the knee, from Armani last weekend and will be sporting them in BKK in July. They look great :thumbup:

When your shorts reach nearly down to your ankles what really was the point ? If your knees are showing do you feel naked in public ?

I buy shorts at Lotus tesco so I can look Thai :)

but mostly because they have lots of pockets to put phone , money, ID into ,

If they sell shorts at Lotus Tesco then there must be Thais who buy them

OC

OK.....sorry trying to make logic about Thailand

Socks with sandals, GAY! No underwear...Not necessarily gay, but headed that way...not gay if avoiding crotch rot (aka jock itch)...Gay if trying to be stylish...NOT GAY if you left it behind while fleeing from a bedroom window to avoid a jealous husband...

:question: :question: :question:

I also noticed on this trip a lot of men wearing capri type pants??? :wave: This too seems a little GAY to me; what's your take OH???

:nono::stirthepo

Archived