Tailors in Bangkok

coldbeer

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Khun Suadum ,

like with women or cars or socks : the variety available is big and the difficulty is to fiddle your precious investment into a reasonably priced product .

I could fill up a textile museum in the meantime after 25 years travelling Asia with all sorts of tailored cloths . The reason is that after a disappointment it usually takes maximum 6 months til I am ready to follow the next secret advice for another hidden jewel in the tailoring trade . I still have a load of shirts made in Sri Lanka April 1979 , all colours . Not that I ever used any .

My very last experience dates back to January this year when a British Lady of noble background personally guided me into the tailor shop on the sacred ground of the Oriental Hotel , Bangkok . I could refuse to have a jacket made but could not refuse to agree to 2 shirts which cost me 5400 Thai Baht each and which I am currently using for cleaning the leather seats in my car . My findings are as follows :

The material they used was very good , no real complaints . Although the man's promise it would be of [color:red]best [/color] quality was nonsense . It takes long long time to iron it , for axample ,which is not a sign of best quality .

The workmanship offered was second to none , I compared it with some fine product of European origin in my possession and would even say the Bangkok man worked more careful at some point . So why did I never use them ?

Imagine a pretty lady , well educated , perfect manners , the dream of your mother and first choice under any aspect ; the only thing missing is that your willy does not get stiff when you see her . No esprit , no vibration , no creativity . Just a very good product . If you know what I mean .

BuBi

I've always bought my suits and shirts from Majestic Tailors. Never had a problem and they all still fit.

The oldest shirt is about five years old.

That being said.. How do the prices compare at Jesse & Victor's? I'm in the market for some suits and shirts... and yes I need them to be a bit loose.

Agree with your assessments of Rajawrongse and Raja's. Top work. Been going to them since '86. When Rajawrongse opened a few years later, I had a few pieces made there. Same quality IMO as Raja's but at a slightly higher price as I recall. (Maybe 10%?) They probably use the same sweat shop...I mean seamstresses LOL ! Not far from their businesses, as I've gone to pick some stuff up and it wasn't there. A phone call by them and five minutes later it was in the shop.

If the hotel you mentioned is Majestic Suites, it's owned by the family, so no "deal" was probably necessary...just some bookwork.

As for quality...unquestionable. Some shirt fabrics haven't been too good, but others have been perfect. Workmanship has always been top. Guys I know from Hong Kong used to wait to get to BKK and go to Raja's...and that was 20 years ago!

HH

"High end materials are basically none exotsent

I bring my own fabircs... "

I've thought about that one before, is it still a good deal than? Can you expect a thai tailor to cut you a suit that looks similar to the latest italian trendy ones?

I don't mean Brioni here, their patterns leave me quite cold and following this thread I had a closer look in a parisian retail shop offerering 50% on the Brioni summer collection last week end and whereas the S200 was way better than anything I'd ever seen before I still don't feel moved by the style - yet I'd actually prolly never even SEEN a S200 before that... a great feeling that was, altough I left the shop feeling kinda lousy in my new Armani :(

Kojis, waiting to see a Raja Brioni Super 200's suit :smirk:

Archived