17 y.o. Gets Jail For Consenual Sex

Steve

4-3 decision isn't overly convincing. 3 thought it was just. Also, the prosecutor worries me that he thought it was just as well. I know Georgia is a 'conservative' state but I have to question how things got so far and how narrowly the guy just missed out staying in prison. When you have guys like this guy and the Duke rape case prosecutor around, its no wonder the justice system is seen as inequal, unfair or inappropriately applied in this country.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is more to this case than has been mentioned. 4 other guys were accused of raping a 14 year old girl and have already accepted a plea bargain.

What sort of a guy is this " victim " if his 4 buddies are being accused of rape at a party and accepting their guilt?

All this occured in a hotel room not some big rambling house where you would not know what was going on.

I think this is another example of the civil rights, black rights brigade getting behind the wrong sort of person.

Just like one of those young men ( JENA 6) accused of assaulting a white student getting a standing ovation at some black music award evening.

They should get behind decent black people, not people who have probably done awful things, like Toopac or whatever he was called, he slaughtered a oriental shopkeeper and his family.

The media in the US and in the UK seem to brush over or ignore completely black on white crime however even at the slightest hint of white on black crime all hell breaks loose.

The dispartity is now so blatant its almost embarrassing for the broadcasters.

STH

... When you have guys like this guy and the Duke rape case prosecutor around, its no wonder the justice system is seen as inequal, unfair or inappropriately applied in this country.

Well the 17 yo did have sex with a 15 yo girl. In the Duke rape case, NOTHING HAPPENED TO THE 20+ yo girl. She lied! The cases are not equivalent.

The sex was either consenual or it wasn't. If consensual, then one has to ask if the punishment fits the crime with the girl being younger than him. Especially given that 17 y.o.'s and 15 y.o.'s have sex by the thousands across the country. It was a bad law. That's why it was changed. The proscutor knew it was a bad law and didn't apply it with any sense of justice. Judges and prosecutors routinely either throw out cases or have slap on hands in numerous cases that carry a maximum of far greater sentences. We see celebs get off when others have gotten more for the same transgression. Not uncommon for people to take a lesser sentence. Even if innocent. While it may sound crazy to plead guilty to a lesser charge if innocent if you're looking at a long sentence by a prosecutor determined to put you in prison, you're poor, and its the conservative, rural south where they still have racial hangups, its not suprising at all. I don't like the so-called 'reverse discrimination' and similar things that happen in court cases either. I've been on record on here saying as much. The pendulum swings too far one way then the other. Sad thing is its still misapplied both ways.

The U.S. justice system has LOTS of problems. For victims as well as for those accused.

I personally know of a few innocent people back home who either didn't have the means to get a proper defense or just didn't want to take the chance on a jury trial and a long sentence because they knew of others who lost jury trials and were innocent. You don't need to look any further than the former republican governor of Illinois who put a moratorium on executions because the accused were found to be innocent. Guess what race these innocent guys were? While I agree with you that white on black 'crimes' becomes an over sensitive issue you also have to ask why? There are decades of the reverse happening where thousands of blacks were jailed innocently. While its wrong for any person, black or otherwise to get off for crimes, and its no excuse, it is understandable given the history of how justice is meted out here, ESPECIALLY in the south when its a black defendent.

I have my peronal story that I've related privately to a couple members on here who know me personally about being falsely accused when I was just out of HS. The cops know you're from the inner city and ignorant of the law and more than likely don't have the family structure (single mom) to fight innocent charges, unlike their white counterparts in the suburbs. It happpens. Trust me it happens. There needs to be a full overhaul as any injustice, no matter the circumstances hurts us all. It won't happen though. If you've had to deal with the system on a personal basis you'd think differently. I'm 100% you would. Just like a lot of things, you have to experience it to fully understand it. I hope you never have to. Wouldn't wish it on anyone.

I for one do not and have never trusted the system. Too many examples of it being shoddy. The cause celeb case gets news but its the rare exception.

My post was regarding rogue prosecutors. No two cases are equivalent. Some have similarities.

The Ga. prosecutor was not a rogue. He had the video evidence of the sexual act! He offered the 17 yo a plea deal, like he did the others, but the 17 yo went for a jury trial. The 10 yr sentence was MANDATORY for that charge.

I agree with you the 15 year old and 17 year old having sex is common place and should not be criminalised except in in exceptional circumstances.

The point I made is that there was more to it, the guy was in a room when rape or activities like that was going on, sometimes prosecutors/police enact the letter of the law if a person deserves it.

I agree the race of the people should not be an issue, but Al Sharpton makes it one.

Normal people can probably see that something went on and that both the victim and the perpretrator were culpable.

With Al Shartpton everything is 100% right and 100% wrong.

STH

Sharpton is like a broken clock. He'll get it right twice a day. He attches himself to some outlandish stuff or makes mountains out of mole hills, etc. but he also attaches himself to legitimate cases (probably to give himself some legitimacy). Everything he supports isn't always the wrong side. Having Sharpton on a side doesn't make it a wrong view. It has to be taken on its own merit and it isn't fair to the parties involved to be deemed guilty because Sharpton has taken their side.

Maybe I heard the story incorrectly but not sure if there was a rape in the widely accepted definition of the word in the room? The girl had consenual sex with multiple people. Statutory yes, forcible? I don't think so.

Even if there was a rape happening elsewhere in the room (which I have my doubts) it doesn't and shouldn't alter the fact that the sex was purely consensual.

Archived