Thai Girl "logic"

Dumsoda

I nearly had a similar experience while working in Lao, but it turned out differently. Was riding my Chinese bicycle slowly down the main drag in a podunk Lao provincial capital when a drunk Lao guy on a motorcycle somehow managed to single-handedly spill onto the pavement not far from me. He jumped up, saw me, a prime farang target, and started pointing at me and blaming me for the accident, the usual: it must be the farang's fault, and the farang must pay up. It was right in front of the market, so there was a crowd immediately. The guy started asking for money and for the police -- what he didn't know was that I was in town for several months doing trainings for police and other gov't staff, so when the first traffic cop arrived, the traffic cop immediately wai'd me respectfully and apologised for the angry drunk - whose face expressed pure shock. The drunk guy called for more police, and the local police honcho eventually arrived - also wai'ing me with respect before he began to berate the guy for insulting his teacher... while I stood back and enjoyed the tables being turned on the fucker! Eventually the guy had to walk his motocy all the way down main street... Got a lot of respect from just about everyone in town after they'd all seen the cops treat me like royalty - even if I was just another farang on a bike...

YimSiam

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe this is Asian logic. For example, when I worked in Bangladesh, if there was a traffic accident involving a foreigner, it was always the foreigner's fault, because if he/she had not been in Bangladesh, the accident would not have happened! It didn't matter that a rickshaw driver was pedalling around a roundabout against the flow of traffic. Beat that.

Same thing in Saudi Arabia a friend of mine was hit head on by a local that was going the wrong way in a round-a-bout. 50% his fault for being in the country!!!

I have heard this argument being used in Thailand as well. Basically, not the taxi driver's fault, it is you, the (farang) passenger's fault, because he would not have been there, if you hadn't hired him and *made* him take you there...

As for Thai girls, I was stunned today at the Muay Thai gym...Was talking to a Thai girl, asking about her cute friend, I then asked her name, the girl says "...you like her, and you don't know her name? why not ask HER?" I reply "Because I asked her before, and I forgot it...and I don't want her to think I am an insensitive dimwit who forgot it..." TG replies "...ah yes, but you did forget it, therefore, you are in fact, a dimwit insensitive, who did forget..." So apparently, some have a basic concept of logic...unless of course, they are from Si Saket...then all bets are off...

Hugh,

Yup, totally agree. That is why it was a good story, to see the motocyke twat get nothing from his damned scam. The look on his face must have been priceless. I noticed that he kept trying to get more cops involved (hoping one high enough up would want to help him shake down the farang, yes?) Luckily Ikkrang had friends in high places. :smirk: It could have been a much different story and ending.

Cent

OH,

Have heard of the same. Problem is it can lead to a dangerous moment or two, especially just walking away. Shit can come unglued easily depending, and I imagine the drivers are responsible for any accidents and repairs, hmmmm. So they try to get as much as possible so they have little or nothing coming out of their pockets. Even though it was his fault or some other Thais fault, some will try to blame the 'rich' farang using any illogical reasoning they can come up with. Then you get the cops involved and it seems to maybe get even more 'expensive' to settle it all. And all not your fault at all. Sickening really. And possibly even dangerous at times.

Cent

Archived