one year to Chinese Olympics-what do they need to do ?

OCgringo

Well its 8-8-07 in Beijing now,

One year till the start of the Summer Olympics ,

what will China change before then, and what will the West try to push them to do ?

Will the be like the Thais who rounded up the stray dogs and beggers and shipped them off when the APEC show was in town ?

Will they actually try to make the food and the air safe ?

And what will they do with a couple 1000 extra Western reporters looking for a story ? Will they each have their minder to keep Chinas image clean ?

Its going to be an interesting year in China

OC

who only went to Hong Kong once....

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am sure they will bring their own food ,

not so sure what they can do about bringing their own air :(

I think Chinas bigger problem will be the reporters and 10s of thousands of tourists that want to take a look around not on guided tours ,

China can barely control its own people , and probably does not have anyway to control the tourists with Video cameras taking video of things China would rather nor show....

OC

and how hard will it be to get a flight to Asia next Summer ?

We traveled thru Korea on way to LOS just before Korea had the Olympics.

There security was as tight as my a**hole. No foolin' around in Korea at that time. Lots of military looking guys with real straight faces.

Did I mention the weapons they carried?

But, yes, there will be a bunch of reporters, first stopping in Bangkok, then off to China. They can easily find all the PCB's and DDT's dumped into rivers and air.

Didn't China recently hang/shoot the director of China's Food Inspection Agency?

I guess just stick to the hotel food - maybe.

The Olympics in China will be a sad joke...IMO!

They Chinese government already started to issue "permits" so that the a-hole Chinese drivers, who are worse then any driver in Thailand, are banned from coming into Beijing.

A few months ago I was in China and tried to get $$$ out of an ATM there...can not...must go to a certain Chinese bank to get money...dahhhh, wait until the thousands of tourists get there and can't get easy access to $$$???

The Beijing airport is very small and way out from bus and rail connections.

The Taxi there are broken down Volkswagens.

Chinese que up in a line...555555555555555

They are extremely rude in many areas, as viewed from an international (Western) standard.

...and on and on and on....

I was there in Feb, did a quick tour of the sites, seemed to be on time, who knows.

Traffic never bothered me that much Jakarta far worse, the rings roads make getting around easy, in fact, I'd say easier than Bangkok, even the Beijing people I work with who come here think that when they try to go cross town

Archived