Any good Peking duck?

Massagemob

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"...Method

1. Inflating Duck Skin: Remove the extra fat from the duck and dry the cavity. Place the nozzle of a bicycle pump in the neck end between the skin and meat and inflate the skin or blow with your mouth (optional step).

2. Glaze: Place the water, honey, ginger, wine and vinegar in a wok or large saucepan, bring the water to the boil. Holding the duck by the string dip the whole body of the duck in the water and ladle the water over it for 20 seconds.

3. To Hang: Hang the duck by its neck with meat hooks in front of a fan for 2-3 hours or for 8 hours in a dry well ventilated place to dry the skin.

4. To Cook: Preheat an oven to 200°C. Place the star anise, spring onion and bruised garlic clove in the duck cavity. Place the duck breast side up on a rack in an oven tray, pour a little water in the base of the tray and place it in the middle shelf in the oven for 20 minutes then turn the breast side down, reduce the temperature to 180°C and cook for a further 30 minutes. Turn the duck breast side up for the final cooking for 20 minutes, if the skin is already very red reduce the temperature to 150°C or if it is very pal increase the temperature to 200°C.

5. To Serve: Steam the pancakes in bamboo steaming baskets or in a steamer. Serve them on plates or directly from the baskets. Slice off 4cm squares of the skin with a little meat (5mm). Lay them out on a serving dish with the spring onions and cucumber batons and hoisin sauce. To assemble the pancakes together each guest should spread a little hoisin sauce over the pancake, then place a piece of duck skin on the pancake and piece of spring onion and cucumber, then roll them...."

Other than the blowing air into it, pretty much what I said. May give that a try next time, I do make this at home, it comes out o.k. Not as good as a restaurant, but then maybe they are blowing air into it...

"...Method

1. Inflating Duck Skin: Remove the extra fat from the duck and dry the cavity. Place the nozzle of a bicycle pump in the neck end between the skin and meat and inflate the skin or blow with your mouth (optional step).

2. Glaze: Place the water, honey, ginger, wine and vinegar in a wok or large saucepan, bring the water to the boil. Holding the duck by the string dip the whole body of the duck in the water and ladle the water over it for 20 seconds.

3. To Hang: Hang the duck by its neck with meat hooks in front of a fan for 2-3 hours or for 8 hours in a dry well ventilated place to dry the skin.

4. To Cook: Preheat an oven to 200°C. Place the star anise, spring onion and bruised garlic clove in the duck cavity. Place the duck breast side up on a rack in an oven tray, pour a little water in the base of the tray and place it in the middle shelf in the oven for 20 minutes then turn the breast side down, reduce the temperature to 180°C and cook for a further 30 minutes. Turn the duck breast side up for the final cooking for 20 minutes, if the skin is already very red reduce the temperature to 150°C or if it is very pal increase the temperature to 200°C.

5. To Serve: Steam the pancakes in bamboo steaming baskets or in a steamer. Serve them on plates or directly from the baskets. Slice off 4cm squares of the skin with a little meat (5mm). Lay them out on a serving dish with the spring onions and cucumber batons and hoisin sauce. To assemble the pancakes together each guest should spread a little hoisin sauce over the pancake, then place a piece of duck skin on the pancake and piece of spring onion and cucumber, then roll them...."

Other than the blowing air into it, pretty much what I said. May give that a try next time, I do make this at home, it comes out o.k. Not as good as a restaurant, but then maybe they are blowing air into it...

I tried that method once, only I spent about two hours beforehand boiling pan loads of water and pouring it onto the duck. I didn't have a fan however, so as it was a windy day, I hung the duck in the kitchen next to an open window whilst I went to work.

I came back in the afternoon to find half the duck still hanging there together with a big fat feckin magpie who had devoured the other half. I would have made Peking Magpie if I could have caught the bastard. :cussing:

Use a deep pot, dunk the duck into the seasoned water (also called glaze) dunk it for maybe a minute or so, turn it upside down so as to submerge the head as well (we want all the crispy skin we can get!). Pasta steamers work well for this, as they are narrow and deep.

I usually dry mine in the fridge, over night, you will see it start to blister in a few hours or so. You can also dry it in a cool area (I would say dark) as well, but I would use a "net cover" or some such to keep the bugs off it. It usually comes out o.k. The Hosion sauce and pancakes I usually buy. Tried making the pancakes once, were o.k. but way too much work...

Oh, 1 tip, some say to put a pan of water under the duck when roasting it, to catch the drippings/fat, and prevent them from burning/stinking/ruining the over...I would NOT recommend this, as too much moisture prevents the skin from getting crispy. Use aluminum foil and a cookie tray, if it starts to stink, replace it with another (foil covered tray)

Archived