Would this Work? Does it Already Exist

Gadfly

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like the idea of a Soi 33 type bar which specializes in wines but would also have a selection of spirits and bottled beers.

Sounds good.

But you forgot the "ban on cigars".

:stirthepo

Nope' date=' in fact it would be compulsory to smoke at least a King Edward :p[/quote']

Is that the name of your favorite khatoey? :yikes:

Cohiba, Hoyo de Monterey, Partagas, Monte Cristo. :thumbup:

Hmm, a Cohiba Esplendido is perfect when you are feeling excessively studly. But be aware of a Dominican brand who stole 100% the Cohiba name/logo/reputation/etc. :down: :down: Bastards!

But, alas, you forget: Romeo y Juliet Churchill (a nice everyday smoke, and a Fidel fav) and my 100% #1 fav for any reason, Juan Lopez Seleccion #1s (what God would sa-moke, if he existed and were he a cigar guy...). Trinidad Fundadores (Cuban, do not be confused by the name!) are lovely as well but VERY hard to find. And Diplomaticos No.2 get an honorable mention at the very least!

Cheers,

SD -- agrees with Fidel (the real one) in this aspect: "I have never in my life inhaled a cigarette or a cigar. I simply enjoyed a cigar after (eating). You have to improve your digestion. I enjoy a cigar because of its aroma, its taste and watching the smoke."

"I have never in my life inhaled a cigarette or a cigar. I simply enjoyed a cigar after (eating). You have to improve your digestion. I enjoy a cigar because of its aroma, its taste and watching the smoke."

I feel the same way about skunk

A go go bar' date=' or even a hostess bar, that serves good wine (maybe a revolving selection), serves light snacks (maybe sushi?)[/quote']

Would you eat sushi in a gogo bar!?? :shocked:

I'm even worried about the hygiene of their beer sometimes :)

Depends what sushi we are talking about :D

A go go bar, or even a hostess bar, that serves good wine (maybe a revolving selection), serves light snacks (maybe sushi?), plays jazz, is comfortable and clean, and the girls are available and young?

Soi 33 seems like a likely venue for such a place, but I haven't seen anything there that really provides all of this. Is there such a place? Would it work? Or is this just not workable for the type of crowds that go go and hostess bars profit from?

I know I would be a regular visitor to such a place and would pay a premimum for these features, but I also know my tastes aren't always consistent with market norms. On the other hand, I am not the only 50ish guy in the bars. Any suggestions or thoughts?

Jazz, mmmmmm maybe - but not exclusively.

I sense you are going for a degree of sophistication - which the Farang tourist market may not have in depth :smirk:

BUT, I see no reason why a sophisticated club could not do well in Bangkok for both Expats seeking discretion and the more knowledgable / sophisticated Tourists.......and location a degree or 2 away from the usual haunts would be an advantage.

I would favour a "Speak Easy" type arrangement with a mixture of entertainment on stage(s) from Live music to Caberet to Comedians to Ping Pong depending on the time of night (and plenty of diddling on tap / show even during the boring stuff)......once you have the punters in the door you want to keep them for a night of drinking and eating not back in their hotel 5 mins after ordering a coke and a ho' to go :smirk:......and for those who have done the regular go go bars 24/7/365 anything different going on in a bar is good....as long as the essentials remain of pussy on show / on tap.

Obviously sit down with tables and food on order (even the Jap Stuff on a conveyor belt) and decent wines and quality booze by the bottle.....and maybe a membership scheme entitling folk to keep bottles behind the bar.

Decent S/T rooms available on site as well as the Staff! Possibly a back door :smirk: into an Eden type establishment.....for the more discrete.

Maybe divide the bar into several areas from lounging in comfy sofas with coffee tables to eating around tables to leaning againts the bar.....to suit all tastes of drinking / diddling.

Maybe a private / VIP members area.

Maybe a place where folk can shower (assisted or unassisted).

Investing in a few gals / mamasans who can really sell the bullshit experiance (in a nice way)would IMO be money well spent.

The biggest hurdle would be Bangkok's early closing rules (and yes 2 or even 3 am is early!)

Not that I have given any thought to this over the years........ :D

Oh and a couple of Tasteful and discrete Katoeys on tap for those who are definately 100% NOT Gay :smirk:

Archived