Thailand pricing itself out of the market?

I was reading the WSJ on the plane today and came across this:

thumb_1191160413-DSCF1790.jpg

It certainly shows how expensive things are getting in Thailand. Now yes, an argument can be made that the average Thai would not be in the market for this item. But, the upper & upper middle classes in Jakarta, KL & Manila have as much money and branded-goods desire as their counterparts in Bangkok, so I'd say the comparison between at least those four cities is valid.

No idea if it is import duties or market forces or simple greed/stupidity that is making the prices such. Just presenting the data, tho' I notice that the WSJ erred and used the offshore rate for the baht, but even so, that would only lower the price one place (to between Paris/London).

Regards,

SD

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So...buy your sunglasses before you come here!

To your point, prices have been climbing here steadily. Without creating an extensive list of price increases, I can attest that the prices of everything have increased considerable in this country in the last 10 years, and the exchange rate (USD vs THB) has played more than its fair share.

Are you ready to go to Cambodia? How about Viet Nam (if you like to live dangerously), or Laos (if you like to live very dangerously), or Burma (if you are nuckin' futs)?

Are you ready to go to Cambodia? How about Viet Nam (if you like to live dangerously), or Laos (if you like to live very dangerously), or Burma (if you are nuckin' futs)?

Not at all. I have needs for my business. The only two other choices that meet my needs in the region would be Sillypore or Hongkers (less desirable than Thailand and NOT because of pussy). And other items (housing especially) price them out of the market right now for me.

Cheers,

SD -- still slaving, unlike you lucky retired guys!

the exchange rate (USD vs THB) has played more than its fair share

But don't you have that backwards? A weak dollar makes US goods *cheaper* in Thailand. Say there is an item selling for $1. A few years ago it would cost 44 baht, but now it would be just 33 baht--a substantial cheaper price. So the exchange rate is no excuse for price hikes and on the contrary imports should be getting cheaper due to the ever strengthening baht.

But there is no denying on thing, prices for anything imported in Thailand is a far cry higher than the same item in the US and it's just always been that way. You can get those Oakleys in the US at half the Bangkok price. Duties just aren't that high.

Whats the "big Mac" index say ?

OC

Glad to see someone else follows my school of ecconomics

I still say that the Big Mac index is erroneous in that in most Asian countries, a Big Mac is a luxury that not everybody consumes. I prefer my Beer Index TM. Same theory as the Big Mac index, 'cept you use the most popular local brew bought in a Mom-n-Pop shop as the basis. This, IMHO, eliminates a lot of variables.

Cheers,

SD -- has evaluated expat contracts on the basis of how many local beers a year's salary would buy since 1992!

But don't you have that backwards? A weak dollar makes US goods *cheaper* in Thailand. Say there is an item selling for $1. A few years ago it would cost 44 baht, but now it would be just 33 baht--a substantial cheaper price. So the exchange rate is no excuse for price hikes and on the contrary imports should be getting cheaper due to the ever strengthening baht..

THis is not Thai economics and really not the economics of luxsury goods,

If the seller gets a better price, he makes more money , not lower the price,

Also this is a US$ survey, so if it was alway 5000 baht for Oakleys , in US$ its now 20-30% more in dollar terms

Selling in US$ wholesale does not make buying a product in another country cheaper when converted back to US$

OC

and I bet Oakleys are made in China for $10

Archived