Thailand pricing itself out of the market?

Last trip, I was quoted 3000 for short time in Pattaya (Angel witch dancer) and also Soi Cowboy. I passed on both.

The excuse in both cases was "...she new, she very good...I want her to have a special night..." I explained I only wanted a girl who knew what she was doing, and a new girl would not...I also explained if I had to train her, I'd be expecting payment...they gave me a blank stare as I paid my drink bill and left.

These people don't seem to get it, even when I explained the going rate earlier that day and the night before was 1/2 that...

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Liquidfix, i think in many cases you are absolutely correct, some girls just use that as ploy not to go with a guy. However i'm sure nowadays there are some girls who are so far up their own arse that they think they are actually worth that sort of money? And before anyone jumps in and says its still cheaper than in x, y or z country, i still consider Thailand to be a third world country paying its people third world wages, so why should the prostitutes/bars start demanding near first world money? Certain areas and certain bars may tend to be worse than others for this trend. In my barfining days it was considered normal practice to buy the girl a lady drink or two if you wanted her to sit and chat for a while and then if you bar fined her you gave her a tip or payment whatever you wanted to call it in return for sex. The usual exception being if you where having a bit of a grope etc in a diddling bar, then you would tip the girl. One trend that i find extremely annoying which seems to be common in some bars but fortunately has'nt spread to all bars yet, is girls expecting a (often quite significant) tip (as well as lady drink/s) for simply sitting talking to you for a short while. What absolute bollocks. (And i'm not talking here about a guy maybe offering the girl 100 baht instead of a lady drink) Needless to say bars where this appears to have taken hold get little or none of my custom.

Simie.

As i've said before, it's simple economics, it's what the market will tolerate. Shitloads of tourists come every year for their one big blow out, wallets stuffed, thats not going to end anytime soon...so prices will continue to rise. For the hardcore monger i'm sure these rises seem unreasonable, but for average holiday joe it's still cheap as chips. The bar owners and BGs just wanna make big piles of moolah. They will. You'll pay or someone else will. End of.

Faustian, i can understand your line of thought there and in the case of some (others are popular in part because they don't operate in that shit manner) of the more popular bars you are probably right, but what about the large number of bars that are nearly empty most of the time? the policy does'nt seem to be working there and i doubt the girls in those bars are making big dosh each month?

Simie.

Going back to topic, what i've been amazed by is the price of renting a nice condo, or eating at a nice restaurant, or staying in a good hotel. The difference for these from the west is minimal (example, a bottle of Singha beer in a hotel i went to was 200 baht in the hotel, the same beer in 7-11 just down the road, 30 baht).

If you do your shopping at Parragon or Emporium you are also paying western prices for the goods on offer. I like my labels, but i seldom buy them in LOS. A 100 pound shirt in the UK is 7,000 baht here....of course the markup on selling such a product in LOS will almost pay the wages of a member of staff for a month, not in the UK.

I guess there's a market for such overpriced stuff here, as shopping malls keep springing up, but also with such low costs to the companies (rent and wages) they can afford to open a lot of branches. It's cynical profiteering, but people pay, so expect more of this too.

Faustian, i can understand your line of thought there and in the case of some (others are popular in part because they don't operate in that shit manner) of the more popular bars you are probably right, but what about the large number of bars that are nearly empty most of the time? the policy does'nt seem to be working there and i doubt the girls in those bars are making big dosh each month?

Simie.

I agree completely, but bar economics seems to be mosty down to the quality of the girls i guess. I don't goto the bars in BKK, i've no need to, but i do recall that a lot of bars were empty with really quite hideous looking old crones. The most popular seemed to have the better looking girls, charged the highest prices and had the most customers. I don't know about now, but the 'best' bars seemed to be the most expensive?

I think a lot of places will go out of business ultimately. Then the bars with the best girls will remain, scam the punters, with huge profit margins on everything. The future looks very western, in business style and prices.

Prostitution is about exploitation, lets be honest, the bar owners exploit the girls and have no problem with scamming the punters. They get fat, make a shed load of money. The empty bars are poorly run or owned by people who either don't know what to do or don't care that much. It's a nasty grubby business.

I think the girls quote crazy prices as a polite (in their mind) way of saying they're not interested in going with that customer, for whatever reason.

I've yet to have one try it on for that much, but if it happened I'd do the same. Just laugh and move on.

In some cases, yes, this is true. In others (a growing number I think) many girls have been spoiled by guys who don't know better, or by having sponsors etc...send a girl 20,000 a month to stay home and do nothing, she isn't going to get off her ass for 1000...

Some of their bullshit stops when they figure you know what is up, and in some cases, I think they are just trying to get all they can from who they can, they will negotiate down, but I never argue price before hand, as I feel it takes away incentive and ensures a bad performance.

Faustian Wrote: "...Prostitution is about exploitation, lets be honest, the bar owners exploit the girls and have no problem with scamming the punters..."

True, but it is a 2 way street really, the girls exploit our needs, we exploit their's. In the end, neither is worse than the other in my book.

"...They get fat, make a shed load of money. The empty bars are poorly run or owned by people who either don't know what to do or don't care that much. It's a nasty grubby business..."

I have always wondered about some of the empty bars. They may be poorly run for sure, in that they may have pissed off/chased off their customers with rediculis prices and practices.

I wrote about this before, but I was trying to pull some girl from the Nana Parking lot, said she was Cambodian. She wanted 3000bht short time, I refused, she didn't budge on the price, said she ALWAYS got that. I pulled an old favorite, we went, and did our thing, I returned about 2 hours later to meet a friend and eat in the Nana Cafe, the girl was still there.

She asked If I wanted to go for 2500, I said no, I had just gone, and only paid 1000, it was now starting to rain, and the punters were more less easing off as it was late. I ate, talked to a friend, met another old friend (as in really old, she was showing me pictures of her grand kids, NO joke!) The Cambodian girl was still out there, being turned down left and right.

I left the Cafe, she again stoped me and asked if I'd go for 2000? I said no, I was tired and going to sleep, and I reminded her that she said she ALWAYS gets 3000.

I pointed out to her that she could have gone with me, made some money, and returned for more or gone home, instead she was standing in the rain with no money. She advised me I was not paying her/offering her enough...I pointed out she had nothing but could have had 1000 (maybe more) but she was too stubborn to see it. Of course if some guy did take her 3000, my logic would have been all wrong...in general there is just a lot of weird reasoning used on pricing pussy in BKK...

The bigger cities in China, Shanghai, Beijing, etc, the P4P scene is not as cheap as LOS. They try to get $300 USD...WTF!!! and they are often starfish with zero GFE.

For sure the major cities will be expensive. But the so-called "second cities" offer some very good value. And we all know we don't have to go to China to net a starfish :(

Even in Cambo, the prices are beginning to rise. Until recently, ST was less than 320 baht; LT was about 640. I've heard that LT is now up to 800 baht. Also, some hostess bars are trying out the barfine system :(

HH

HH

Archived