Will Busu Attack Iran?

chicagogato

CS,

The War Powers Act

Within sixty calendar days after a report is submitted or is required to be submitted pursuant to section 4(a)(1), whichever is earlier, the President shall terminate any use of United States Armed Forces with respect to which such report was submitted (or required to be submitted), unless the Congress (1) has declared war or has enacted a specific authorization for such use of United States Armed Forces, (2) has extended by law such sixty-day period, or (3) is physically unable to meet as a result of an armed attack upon the United States. Such sixty-day period shall be extended for not more than an additional thirty days if the President determines and certifies to the Congress in writing that unavoidable military necessity respecting the safety of United States Armed Forces requires the continued use of such armed forces in the course of bringing about a prompt removal of such forces.

That act has been around a while and I alluded to it in a previous post. Bush had a stronger incentive to go after Saddam than he did Iran. A personal one (Saddam attempted to kill his father). He had 911 fresh in everyone's mind. So, why did he go to Congress first instead of using this act?

Why did he go Congress before going into Afghanistan?

Why would he avoid doing it now with Iran?

Bush may be a bad President, even an evil one in some minds (I just think he's misguided, naive but I think its a HUGE stretch to think he will arbitrarily invade or nuke Iran without Congress' say so. There is NOTHING to suggest that he would do otherwise, given that he's invaded 2 prior countries but first got congressional approval.

On anohter note, when ever there is any law or statute that adds powers to the President I ALWAYS think in terms of the lowest common denominator. I look at what can be done by a bad President with this act, not what good can be done with a good one. At some point there will be another bad one and that is the worry.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Yanks saved the whole free world more than once !

You'd all be speaking German or Japanese if it wasn't for the Yanks. And if it wasn't for the Yanks, the Germans would be speaking Russian now!

Oh, and thank the Brits, Aussies, New Zealanders, Canadians, etc.

I am tired of all this bashing crap. Too many armchair generals and pacifist wimps whining like little children.

Get a life!

Interesting thing is it takes a few people to send a nuke to Iran. He has authorization codes, the head of the Joint Chiefs has them and has to comply, there are at least 2 guys in the bunker or if its by air, sometimes two in the plane and they have to reconfirm. I don't see any general sending one out just because Bush said so.

I don't think it would happen like that. It would be a gradual escalation. A US ship hits a mine, Iran gets the blame, some targets get bombed, Iran retaliates....you get the idea. I think some people are just itching to nuke Iran and Bush will be put in a position where he has to go along with it or appear weak. He won't need any authorization. Anybody who complains will be a pacifist wimp.

As I said, rumor is, China sent us that warning.

As for CS's comments about GW not being a king or a dictator, I honestly believe he is trying his best to be just that.

As for Unit731's comments...soft wimps, neo cons what ever, GW is fucked up. Just because the U.S. did play a major hand in "saving the world many times" does not excuse us now. Bashing? or telling the truth? depends I guess...but bottom line is GW has gone too far, and needs a wake up/the brakes put on. We have 2 wars we aren't winning, why start a third?

You've probably never heard of the US Navy ship that FDR ordered into Japanese claimed waters in late 1941, presumably expecting her to be attacked so he could declare war. Instead, the Nipponese gents attacked Pearl first and the Navy ship was quickly ordered to return to safety at top speed.

I'll have to google and see if I can find the name of the ship. It's mentioned in a number of books on WWII in the Pacific.

Archived