Will Busu Attack Iran?

chicagogato

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
*** Is war with Iran possible? Yes. 1. Bush has the legal authority Bush secured the legal authority to attack any country any time for any reason post 9/11 and pre-Iraq invasion.Congress has never taken this power back from him.

You can check this to see if it's true. I believe it is.

I'm not so sure. After 911, he couldn't go into Iraq without congress' okay. If I'm not mistaken, the President can react to a military emergency without congress but has to get the okay after 48 hours I think. Only Congress can declare a war. That's in the constitution. Only Congress can authorize the funding of a war. Bush can't pay for it on his own, Congress has to approve it. The president has emergency powers but its only in cases where it demands an immediate reaction and not enough time for the congress to convene like some thing happening at 2am and needs a response immediately.

The bottom line is, this guy has a war vendetta that won't quit. He is the new world conqueror. The main obstacle I see, is China, no way they want their oil disrupted. As China controls the U.S. purse strings to a great extent, I can see them leaning in and trying to block it all.

As to whether or not this deters old GW'd, who knows? Frankly, I think the guy is nuts and will ignore all the best advice.

I don't know where you get your faith in congress CS. All Bush has to do is pull the old mushroom cloud gambit...

"Congressman X doesn't worry that Iran has a nuclear bomb aimed at you...."

As for authorization, the White House already thinks they have it under the original post 9/11 authorization of force and Lieberman took care of the loopholes.

And what's with you anyway CS...are you soft on terrorists?

CS,

The War Powers Act

Within sixty calendar days after a report is submitted or is required to be submitted pursuant to section 4(a)(1), whichever is earlier, the President shall terminate any use of United States Armed Forces with respect to which such report was submitted (or required to be submitted), unless the Congress (1) has declared war or has enacted a specific authorization for such use of United States Armed Forces, (2) has extended by law such sixty-day period, or (3) is physically unable to meet as a result of an armed attack upon the United States. Such sixty-day period shall be extended for not more than an additional thirty days if the President determines and certifies to the Congress in writing that unavoidable military necessity respecting the safety of United States Armed Forces requires the continued use of such armed forces in the course of bringing about a prompt removal of such forces.

Archived