Angel Witch For Sale

Gadfly

Can someone tell me the history of how this "indian family" got to own most of Suk...?

I think the family is Singh. I recall reading a short blurb somewhere about how the lower Sukhumvit area is largely owned by a Thai-Indian or several Thai-Indian families. This website is largely devoted to the lower Sukhumvit area; it would be interesting to know about a more about its history. Anyone here know the history?

Before WW2, lower Suk was a labyrinth of canals and swamps more identified with the sprawling Klong Tuey port and waterfront slum than it is today, even though the even side of Suk. is still officially in Klong Tuey District. It was considered to be an appropriate place for foreigners to live and work.

Indian merchant families that had traded here for generations and had shown loyalty and financial support for the Crown were rewarded with large land grants in the area, though not in the port itself.

Like the Chinese, Indian families hold and lease land but rarely sell it. I'm sure ownership has been consolidated by larger, wealthy families through advantageous marriages.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks. This is the article I was thinking of.

The whole area, not just the plaza itself, has expanded a great deal over the last five years or so.

One thing I would like to see on Soi 4 - and I know this is off subject - are a few more decent restaurants. I liked Steak One, and I am not sure why that was shuttered.

OK, back to AngelWitch - anyone have any insights into its likely future? Will the Iranian guy buy it, and turn into a mega-bar by combining it with Spankys? Big bars with lots of chicks seem to do better than small bars (note that the small Rosemary bar mentioned in the above article was eliminated by Rainbow 4). Or will someone from the Crown Group take it over? Or perhaps another Topcat fiasco?

Anyone know or have any hunches? Inquiring minds want to know.

Before WW2, lower Suk was a labyrinth of canals and swamps more identified with the sprawling Klong Tuey port and waterfront slum than it is today, even though the even side of Suk. is still officially in Klong Tuey District. It was considered to be an appropriate place for foreigners to live and work.

Indian merchant families that had traded here for generations and had shown loyalty and financial support for the Crown were rewarded with large land grants in the area, though not in the port itself.

Any aspiring historians out there? A Brief History of Sukhumvit would be an interesting subject - well, at least one guy would by the book.

....OK, back to AngelWitch - anyone have any insights into its likely future? Will the Iranian guy buy it, and turn into a mega-bar by combining it with Spankys? Big bars with lots of chicks seem to do better than small bars (note that the small Rosemary bar mentioned in the above article was eliminated by Rainbow 4). Or will someone from the Crown Group take it over? Or perhaps another Topcat fiasco?....

I never go to NEP, therefore I don't give a HOOT. :smirk:

Just can tell what some thais told me years ago -

Sukhumvit area isn't Bangkok, before at least it was in an other province actually - now it's a part of Greater BKK I think.

Some say Rama V started to sell land to chinese and indian families outside BKK, Lady Patpongs family is chinese for example.

1947 there was a second wave of indians emigrating to Thailand and some say that it wasn't until then some areas were sold to indians.

>Rock for 50 year olds doesn't get young Thai girls dancing or in the mood for anything. Why the fuck more bars don't cotton on to this and play at least some newer music that'll get the girls moving, I don't know.<

Said this many times before: With the vast majority of the girls from issaan, the best way to get them rocking and in an adrenaline mood, play morlam and lukthung. Just watch the few places that occasionally put some of that music on, and watch the change of attitude of the girls. That tells it all.

I'd like to hear more current music played in the gogo's, personally I'm bored of the same old stadium rock played at levels loud enough to make your ears bleed. But playing morlam and lukthung for 8 hours a night would be the kiss of death, thai3 would like it though.

Archived