Angel Witch For Sale

Gadfly

Anything else I am missing here?

Yes, the holy grail of retailing 'Foot Fall' the most important factor in valuing a potential lease, the more qualified, potential customers passing your door during business hours, the higher value the location has. Generally, basements and upperfloor locations are worth less than those at street level. In the gogo bar business I wouldn't have thought branding would affect the lease value by much, especially if the place was in need of refurbishment.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree that "foot traffic" is very important, but I was thinking of items that "transfer" when you buy a bar. In other words, what are you really buying when you buy a bar?

You are buying the leasehold interest (you hope), the fixtures and the brand.

But I don't think of "foot traffic" as something you buy. I think you are right about the importance of taking foot traffic into account when valuing the lease. And the nice thing about foot traffic is that it can be measured.

I am curious - any bar owners here or people who seriously considered buying a bar? If so, how did you go about determining the price of the bar? How did you check the leasehold interest? If, after reading some of our comments about problems with buying a bar you want to post under another name, I have no problem with that.

He represented he owned the bar furnishing and fixtures, but he only rented those things.

Wow. It was worst than I thought. Of course, the lease for the space would be key issue, since you can always buy bar stools, tables and inventory (beer, water and few bottles of JD), but there is not much you do if you don't have a place to put that stuff to operate "your" bar.

I believe the problems with TC were,

1) He could not transfer his sublease without the approval of the lease holder, Boss Hog.

2) He represented he owned the bar furnishing and fixtures, but he only rented those things.

Bars can go from good to bad very quickly. Take Voodoo for example. One time I went, there were over 100 girls plus 3 khatoeys and the place was hopping with customers. 6 months later there were 20 girls plus 3 khatoeys and you could count the number of customers with one hand.

What TC initially tried to do was to RENT the bar to the Danes: them paying the rent to him and he paying Boss Hogg. The sub-lease would have stayed in his name, the purchase price was actually described as "Key Money" At the same time there was an issue between TC and Sunbelt with who he had initially listed. He let somebody else put together the deal claiming his Sunbelt contract had expired, Sunbelt didn't agree and it got messy.

I saw TC's copy of his lease and in one paragraph it forbid sub-leasing; in the next paragraph, it spelled out the terms for sub-leasing: clear as crude oil.

Once Boss Hogg barged into the deal it became a real mess, everybody accusing everybody else of double-dealing. Narit, the local cop got pretty badly burned in the deal and TC ended up with a warrant out for his arrest. He went home to CA, promising to return to answer the charges but remains there still.

The VOODOO situation Shyguy describes was the perfect example of the importance of having a Mama-San who knows her business. VOODOO had a good one and the place was easily the best in the Plaza: as Shyguy said, a hundred happy stunners.

Naturally, the owner found a reason to fire her and she departed, taking many of the girls with her, Piaw, TC's former M-S took over but simply didn't have the connections and only lasted a couple of months; steadily downhill from there.

Voodoo was last good in 1998, I think.

As a matter of interest, who finds the girls? Is the Mamasan responsible for that? Or do they have separate 'scouts', like football clubs, who go around villages?

From speaking to girls, it always seems that a friend of a friend got them into it but Angelwitch, for example, seems to have a group from Roi-Et at the moment. Is that the result of scouting or just luck?

Archived