Angel Witch For Sale

Gadfly

I am always amazed when I hear about any bar for sale, let alone one that has sold. Simple common sense suggests that:

There are no physical assets.

The staff can and will walk out en-mass at any time.

Any lease is highly questionable, and even if legit, the locals can just demolish your place if they so choose.

Financial data is completely unverifiable, and almost certainly a work of fiction.

If the bar owners lips are moving, he is lying.

etc

etc

etc

Then again, people do buy these things on occasion, so why not try to sell to some unsuspecting sucker? As many previously have stated, Nana Plaza seriously sucks now, so who cares what happens?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've never been an Angelwitch fan. The uniforms that so many seem to love I just find, uhhh, wierd. Never really been impressed with the selection of girls either.

I remember way back in '02 the place was awesome. Loads of stunners showing plenty of skin. :hubba: Now it is so ho hum. :down:

In it's early days it was quaint.

Today, Nana Plaza has a carnival bizarre rock concert atmosphere full of wanabe punters seeking endless amounts of alcohol and scantily clab gals who are young enough to be their offspring.

Visit and one can view the decline of civilization.

I am always amazed when I hear about any bar for sale, let alone one that has sold. Simple common sense suggests that:

There are no physical assets.

The staff can and will walk out en-mass at any time.

Any lease is highly questionable, and even if legit, the locals can just demolish your place if they so choose.

Financial data is completely unverifiable, and almost certainly a work of fiction.

If the bar owners lips are moving, he is lying.

I wonder the same thing. And yet bars do get sold and new bars go up all of the time.

I have never bought a bar (and have no plans to do so), but when you buy a bar isn't the main asset you are acquiring the leasehold interest? In other wrods, the right to occupy and operate a bar from a particular locale for a certain period of time. Anything else?

If this right, the lease is critical. If the lease terminates the moment it is assigned or the place is sub-let, you aren't buying anything at all. Don't know the details, but isn't this what essentailly happened with Cathouse?

After the lease, in terms of importance or value, I guess there are the "improvements' - built in furniture, modfications to the space, etc. And after that, I guess there might be the sound system and furnishings - basically, bar stools, right? But when new bars go up, at least these days (and particularly in Soi Cowboy), all this stuff seems to get discarded and the interior is completely re-done. Meaning this other stuff is basically useless, which returns us to the lease.

There is inventory, which is probably the only item where you could fix a value (just compare prices the bar owner is offering with prices available on the market), but that is presumably a small part of it since you can easily obtain replacement in the market. You cannot prevent competition, so no real value with a non-compete.

Reputation probably has some value, but not for long if the mama-san and staff don't stay put, and I cannot see how you can guarantee that. Further, if the old bar will be completely be gutted, refurbished and rebranded, this suggests that new owners aren't really attaching my value to reputation. Again, it all seems to come back to the lease.

Anything else I am missing here?

in the first time they play often German Heavy Metal in Angelwitch. This was great!

Me and other mates liked to go there just for the heavy and loud music. Not much interesting in bikini/fashion shows.

Girls who waring underwear and Bikini's i can see at every beach or guest friendly hotel pool.

You really are odd.

You say you can see girls wearing underwear and bikinis at every beach or pool* but you can't grab the concept that you can listen to German rock music with your pals by simply buying a CD? :dunno:

*Actually, you CAN'T see girls wearing that sort of lingerie in any beach or pool that I know of. Furthermore, at every beach or pool you'd also have a load of white old whales - both male and female souring your view. And lastly, you couldn't barfine them and fuck them within minutes.

I think the brand lasts longer than you'd give it credit for, whether the mamasans are there or not. Even if the best girls leave, the punters would still keep seeing it for quite a while through old reputation tinted glasses anf come out of sheer habit. You can see this in Rainbow 2, I think, which I think is a pale shadow of what it was. Even Rainbow 4 has some real hags.

A few things I notice that are odd in Angelwitch.

1. A girl in AW Bangkok mentioned that they have 4 DJs. (Or it might even have been 6) :shocked: 4 DJs?! For what?

2. AW Pattaya has some bizarre shows and they last far, far, far too long. I left there

exasperated a while ago after having tried to wait them out for 90 minutes with no real opportunity to ogle the usual girls I was interested in barfining. :doah:

The Pattaya branch even has different, really stupid, shows. E.g. For some obscure reason, the girl doing the panty show in Pattaya paints her face, Halloween style, to make herself look ugly! And one 'show' is simply a drag queen miming to an Eartha Kitt song!

I mean, wtf? (You should have seen the audience reaction. Total disinterest, of course. Why the fuck would a bunch of horny heterosexual men want to see that? )

OK, you are probably right that brand deserves more credit.

As you say: "the punters would still keep seeing it for quite a while through old reputation tinted glasses and come out of sheer habit". Actually, if the transition was seemless with the same cast of BGs, mama-sans and "look and feel" - by which I mean furnishings, layout, routines, music and ambience - the punters probably would not notice. But if the BGs abandon you or the look and feel changes because you donâ??t maintain standards (a common failing in locally controlled businesses, in other fields at least), I think you will quickly see a fall off in visitors.

The Angel Witch brand certainly does have more value than, say, the brand appeal that came with the names of some of the smaller bars that have disappeared with the bigger bars that are taking their place (I cannot remember the names of many of those smaller bars now, which probably says something about the value of those brands, my age or both :) )

But of course if your lease ends the moment you take control, or six months after you take control, the value of that brand isn't going to be worth much to a new owner.

I believe the problems with TC were,

1) He could not transfer his sublease without the approval of the lease holder, Boss Hog.

2) He represented he owned the bar furnishing and fixtures, but he only rented those things.

Bars can go from good to bad very quickly. Take Voodoo for example. One time I went, there were over 100 girls plus 3 khatoeys and the place was hopping with customers. 6 months later there were 20 girls plus 3 khatoeys and you could count the number of customers with one hand.

Archived