2 Million in BKK ??

mainsail

Quote: The Well, a Christian ministry in Thailand, reaches out to women employed in the sex industry

there.

In her visit to central Nebraska this week, Prang Kamram shares her story of leaving prostitution to work for the Well.

In the English she's only known for a year, Kamram said, "The Well helps ladies from the bar... and help work in the Well, and have a good life and know about God."

She now earns a living making purses, jewelry and cards for the Well in Thailand.However, just one year ago, she was a prostitute; not like those found on the streets of Bangkok, but inside like most.

"It's women who go to work in a bar and they get paid by the bar," said Michaela Weeks, a supporter of the Well's mission from Omaha. "When customers come in, they pay a fee to the bar to take the women out. And then they'll talk to the women and tell her how much they'll pay to take her out. Then she can say yes or no."

Though an estimated two million women do the same kind of work in Bangkok alone, the issue is garnering much less attention than other sex crimes in the country. Just days ago, police in Thailand arrested Canadian teacher Christopher Neil. He's suspected of sexually abusing young males in pictures posted on the internet. The photos had been digitally altered to disguise the man's face, but Neil is similar to the men Kamram remembers from the go-go bars - American, European or simply Westerners.

When asked if families like their children working in bars, Kamram had this surprising response:

"Yes, to support the family, and maybe can marry with a foreign husband," she said.

Reporter's Notes by Crystal Calloway:

By visiting www.narimon.org, you can help these young women by purchasing greeting cards made by Prang Kamram and the Well.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At 25 girls per bar (a rather high estimate), means there are ~800,000 bars in Bangkok. Given that Bangkok is made up of ~1568 square kilometers (per wikipedia), that means there are 510 go-go/beer bars per square km across Bangkok. And as we all know, from reading the press (thank you Famous Grouse et al), that Bangkok is just one big brothel masquerading as a girlie bar, then these figures simply MUST be true.

Don't you just love fact-based reporting!

And as we all know, from reading the press (thank you Famous Grouse et al),

Don't you just love fact-based reporting!

Not sure why you are singling out FG. I saw nothing wrong with the thread he posted. Nothing I thought was misleading or inaccurate.

Though an estimated two million women do the same kind of work in Bangkok alone, ...............

Reporter's Notes by Crystal Calloway:

By visiting www.narimon.org, you can help these young women by purchasing greeting cards made by Prang Kamram and the Well.

So if Bangkok has approximately 9 million people Source

And we assume 50 % or 4.5 million are male, then from the remainder, 2 out of every 5 females in Bangkok, work bar.

And this does not account for aged, ugly and children, who could be estimated to be 2 million of the 4.5 million.

Leading me to conclude that 4 out of every 5 females in Bangkok that are not aged, ugly and children, are bar workers.

I knew there was a reason I loved Bangkok :)

Cheers

Coss

The folks in central Nebraska ain't never seen a real live Thai hooker before! This is news! I love the last part where they were surprised she said the families are happy about their daughters becoming hookers! They don't know quite what to make of that except to tell us to buy her greeting cards! Truly an alternate universe to ours.

Archived