Rumsfeld flees France fearing arrest

Fidel

I love it!

Former US Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld fled France today fearing arrest over charges of â??ordering and authorizingâ? torture of detainees at both the American-run Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq and the US militaryâ??s detainment facility at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, unconfirmed reports coming from Paris suggest.

US embassy officials whisked Rumsfeld away yesterday from a breakfast meeting in Paris organized by the Foreign Policy magazine after human rights groups filed a criminal complaint against the man who spearheaded President George W. Bushâ??s â??war on terrorâ? for six years.

Under international law, authorities in France are obliged to open an investigation when a complaint is made while the alleged torturer is on French soil.

According to activists in France, who greeted Rumsfeld shouting â??murdererâ? and â??war criminalâ? at the breakfast meeting venue, US embassy officials remained tight-lipped about the former defense secretaryâ??s whereabouts citing â??security reasonsâ?Â.

Anti-torture protesters in France believe that the defense secretary fled over the open border to Germany, where a war crimes case against Rumsfeld was dismissed by a federal court. But activist point out that under the Schengen agreement that ended border checkpoints across a large part of the European Union, French law enforcement agents are allowed to cross the border into Germany in pursuit of a fleeing fugitive.

â??Rumsfeld must be feeling how Saddam Hussein felt when US forces were hunting him down,â? activist Tanguy Richard said. â??He may never end up being hanged like his old friend, but he must learn that in the civilized world, war crime doesnâ??t pay.â?Â

International Federation for Human Rights (FIDH) along with the Center for Constitutional Rights (CCR), the European Center for Constitutional and Human Rights (ECCHR), and the French League for Human Rights (LDH) filed the complaint on Thursday after learning that Rumsfeld was scheduled to visit Paris.

Source

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm certainly no fan of Rumsfeld and I know I'll get sh*t over this but its a dangerous game. In a perfect world, all violators of international law will come to justice. The world isn't perfect obviously and if he were arrested or whatever, the consequences not only for the franco-anglo (is it anglo if its american?) relationship but all of europe as well. I'm sure the U.S. (CIA, etc.) has loads of info on french (as well as english, german, etc.) officials that have done things as well.

I totally understand the anger over the war. I want our troops out of Iraq as much as anyone but as I said in the previous paragraph, its a dangerous game. Also, and I've raised this in previous discussions there is selective prosecution when it comes to France and others. There are loads of heads of states and government officials in Africa, Middle East, etc, that can be tried for international crimes. Heads of state that have probably visited France but they wouldn't do anything about it. However, if its America, then its the worst thing on earth. All I ask is that these violations and international crimes be applied equally and fairly across the board.

Now France is stepping up to be the same as the USA...someone, in this case a non-French citizen, breaks the law in a country other then France and France will arrest this person?

Isn't this is what the USA is doing?

Arresting people, detain them in Gitmo?

Like CS said, dangerous territory!

Arrest them all, keep it just and fair!!!

Archived