American Gangster

Damen

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is BS. I've done a fair amount of reading on these drug kingpins and its pretty much regarded as BS for the most part. He's a great embellesher. The reason why his crew was called the country boys was because they acted and dressed like bumpkins.

Nicky Barnes had the rep and from what I understand the street muscle. There was another guy called Frank Matthews who had a direct supply from south america. He wholsaled heroin across the nation. His story is unique in that he was arrested and faced trial in 1973. Was out on bail and vanished with an estimated 15-20 million cash with a girlfriend. To this day he's not been caught and is still on the FBI's most wanted list. He was very familiar with traveling abroad.

Did they actually film it in BKK? And anyone know what bar?

The Bangkok exteriors were definitely Chinatown...the "bar" itself was most likely a Hollywood set (or a set somewhere in Thailand).

When they're supposedly in the Vietnam highlands, they were also filming in Thailand with Thai extras: my viewing companion and I both heard the extras speaking Thai to each other. No ID of accent.

preahko

The Bangkok exteriors were definitely Chinatown...the "bar" itself was most likely a Hollywood set (or a set somewhere in Thailand).

When they're supposedly in the Vietnam highlands, they were also filming in Thailand with Thai extras: my viewing companion and I both heard the extras speaking Thai to each other. No ID of accent.

preahko

Same, same "Off Limits". Supposed to be in VN. Filmed in BKK, featuring sites filmed at

SC and Patpong (when you could still drive down the sois in cars) in the 80's. Set dressers took pains to put up signs in VN language and then the extras spoke Thai 5555555. I'm pretty sure that the company rented out real bars and go-go girls for that one.

HH

Like most hollywood movies, they know that 99% of fans wouldn't know or care as long as it 'seemed' real.

It was also said that the distant relative of Frank Lucas in the movie who owned the bar, played a more prominent role than was otherwise depicted. Which makes sense because no way Frank Lucas could navigate his way around to the point of meeting up with the people who made it without a lot of help.

I agree but Hollywood isn't about the truth, its about what's marketable to the broadest audience. So, they will embellish the truth if a choice has to be made between truth and money. Or sometimes truth and what is PC.

The captured slave in Amistad was involved in slave trading when he got back to Africa but it wasn't PC to mention that.

The few movies that i can think of that were as real to the book or real life events they were based on are:

The Godfather, very few things different than the book. In the end of the book only Barzini and Tattaglia are killed, in the movie all 5 bosses were.

Without being too religious, the Mel Gibson movie on Jesus, even though some things had to be speculated on, he at least tried to adhere as close to doctrine as possible.

Not sure but I think Schindler's List was close to events.

Archived